Clk280 convertible. 2005 slipped tooth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sbk1972

Hi all.
I have the option to buy a mercedes w209 2005 clk280 101k miles for £600. The engine seems to have slipped a tooth and doesnt start. The assumption is that the chain has slipped, a number of valves have bent hence the owner wants to get rid.

Ive been reading about these engines, single chain, sprocket goes and destroys the engine. To repair could be head. Gaskets. Chain guides. Sprockets. Etc

So. My question. Has anyone ever had the same issue. Have they had it fixed. If so what sort of price in parts is it ? Is there a way in seeing if a tooth has slipped before buying ?

Is it worth 600 quid. Could i fix it if i had a budget of 1k ?

Not sure what to do. Seeking advice from owners who had the same issue with similar engine.

Simon

Probably not.

I haven't experienced this myself, but have read extensively and discussed with my indy as I have a M272 engine within the affected number range.

See the thread here for the symptoms and fault codes that indicate failed balance shaft gears:

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/137229-complete-m272-engine-thread.html

Requires engine out to replace balance shafts and I believe the kit of parts is around £750. I don't think you can inspect the affected gears with the engine in situ either, but prepared to be corrected on this.

Have seen quotes of £2-£3k from trusted indys - may be more if head and/or valves involved.

Last edited:
For £600 it's probably worth more in parts to break it.

I suspect that the cost of a full rebuild isn't a great deal more than the cost of replacing the balance shaft since that includes removing the engine and taking the front covers off.

Unless you're going to do it yourself, I suspect it's going to cost you more than £1k, but that might take the "value" of the car back to market rate.

I think I will leave it then. It needs an MOT now, wheels bearing too. If it was a 40K minter then I would but will leave it.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom