CLK280: Is it worth upgrading head unit to NTG2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just picking up on the quality aspect of this thread........

There is a huge difference in the quality of components used by companies such as Alpine and these cheap Chinese units. I say this because of the failure rates we have seen day to day.

We are an Alpine and Pioneer authorised stockist. We won’t sell Kenwood, Sony, JVC etc because of the quality. Too many warranty issues. We have never had an Alpine warranty issue. They are at the top of their game and make the Chinese units look like something out of a Christmas cracker.

To really put this into perspective not only will we not supply any of these Chinese units, we will not even install one a customer supplies. Why? Because they often do not offer what they claim, do not work properly and lead to disappointment for the customer. We do not want to have anything to do with a product that can and probably will cause disappointment to a customer.

I have just fitted a Pioneer AVIC-920DAB with reverse cam. The shark fin was changed to handle GPS,DAB and FM bit of a pain to fit as the headliner has to come down to run the cables. I didn't want the GPS receiver stuck under the dash or the DAB antenna stuck on the screen. If your doing it, do it right or leave it alone. The Pioneer unit performs very well, then at nearly a grand it should be good.

I am just waiting for delivery of Pioneer coaxial speakers for the front doors to replace the OEM's. I have also fitted a Nextbase 522GW dash cam with the addition of a rear window cam, all hard wired and working well. I did use quality stuff and I am very happy with the finished job, I even painted the shark fin into colour so it looks as if it is OEM.

I have just fitted a Pioneer AVIC-920DAB with reverse cam. The shark fin was changed to handle GPS,DAB and FM bit of a pain to fit as the headliner has to come down to run the cables. I didn't want the GPS receiver stuck under the dash or the DAB antenna stuck on the screen. If your doing it, do it right or leave it alone. The Pioneer unit performs very well, then at nearly a grand it should be good.

I am just waiting for delivery of Pioneer coaxial speakers for the front doors to replace the OEM's. I have also fitted a Nextbase 522GW dash cam with the addition of a rear window cam, all hard wired and working well. I did use quality stuff and I am very happy with the finished job, I even painted the shark fin into colour so it looks as if it is OEM.

Sounds great, do you have a few pics?

I was wondering if the shark fin can be used for GPS, which one did you get to also support DAB? (the only reason I didn't consider DAB is because of the ugly windscreen antenna..)

Also, on existing Comand systems, where is the original GPS antenna located??

Also quick update..
My ordered was cancelled because the head unit I ordered was 260mm wide and mine is 254 even though was listed as W209 compatible.
Now I've been checking all listings on ebay and can't find a single one that's not 260mm -> can this be addapted to fit?!

Also quick update..
My ordered was cancelled because the head unit I ordered was 260mm wide and mine is 254 even though was listed as W209 compatible.
Now I've been checking all listings on ebay and can't find a single one that's not 260mm -> can this be addapted to fit?!
I looked at that and had the same issue. Gave up and went completely over budget on a Pioneer unit and Helix V Eight amplifier, with steering controls and a full rewire. Still need to make the mount to get the amplifier in the stock location but am VERY pleased with the audio quality and functionality. Anyone want a factory Nav head unit? Didn't think so. :)

I was looking for a 4 channel amp too..
Which Pioneer unit did you go for? Does it look good in the dash?

I'm gutted because I went for a super clean look with one of these PBX89M209L Android 9 Radio GPS 4+64GB CLK, C, G - Navi4all.com

But turns out to be 260mm at the top..

Has anyone tried shaving these 4mm off from the sides??

Have you tried to fit it and it doesn't fit?
The unit looks to be double DIN sized so those parts you want to reduce would likely be just spacers so would be ok to trim.
My first option would be to try and return it though.

I didn't get to try it because they cancelled my order when I confirmed my Audio 20 dimensions.. basically 260mm vs 254mm mine at the top and 240mm vs 238mm bottom.
I thought about filing the sides but there's a metal back plate so it not just plastic trim...

260mm vs 254mm mine at the top and 240mm vs 238mm bottom.
I thought about filing the sides but there's a metal back plate so it not just plastic trim...

Here are the pics they sent me:

Would be a total 6mm to cut from the top sides, quite a lot so I'm giving up..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2
I was looking for a 4 channel amp too..
Which Pioneer unit did you go for? Does it look good in the dash?

I'm gutted because I went for a super clean look with one of these PBX89M209L Android 9 Radio GPS 4+64GB CLK, C, G - Navi4all.com

It's a Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB and it doesn't look nearly as good as that unit you chose, I have to accept that. I too really wanted to retain as much of an OEM look as possible or at least as little of an 'aftermarket' look as possible and I did look at the one you wanted as an option. The trouble is the curvature on the CLK dash/radio can't be matched by a universal unit. I've got over the aesthetic issue and I love the operation especially with wireless CarPlay. The Connects2 fitting kit is really well made BTW and you can use the steering controls too.
49612685553_e479b349f1_c.jpg

Yes at least it's the right size, but over 600 euros.. some listed on ebay are as cheap as £120 albeit 2GB RAM etc but just so that the faceplate is 6mm smaller I'm looking 5 times the price.. :(

I was looking at 2 Din adapters maybe I can do something similar to Blobsta with a standard-size 2 Din unit but I'm not sure how to get the steering wheel controls working (the unit I purchased initially had this 'CanBus Decoder' magic box..)

I
Yes at least it's the right size, but over 600 euros.. some listed on ebay are as cheap as £120 albeit 2GB RAM etc but just so that the faceplate is 6mm smaller I'm looking 5 times the price.. :(

I was looking at 2 Din adapters maybe I can do something similar to Blobsta with a standard-size 2 Din unit but I'm not sure how to get the steering wheel controls working (the unit I purchased initially had this 'CanBus Decoder' magic box..)

I think most of the better generic head units support SWC natively these days.

Those really cheap head units will be awful. I think those are the type Alfie was warning against buying.

Those really cheap head units will be awful. I think those are the type Alfie was warning against buying.

Yeah totally agree, and the actual reason I avoided them for so long. But as tech is getting better it's also cheaper to get decent systems and Android 9.0 is actually very capable..
If I am able to find a decent unit that also fits I would replace the amplifier IC with a TDA7560 or equivalent.

Looks like for now size matters :rolleyes:

You can buy replacement mounts but they are often flimsy plastic so I used some MDF about 1cm thick.
Speakers were focal component AS165.

45554901721_36ff4221c7_z.jpg
If AltonAnt can read this I wonder if he (or any other knowledgeable member) would know if this unit could replace the audio 10 and under tray in a CLK? Also, is the unit any good?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom