CLK320 Possible Crank Position Sensor failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Hi

I have a problem and wouldn't mind some of your thoughts.

The Car.

The car is a low mileage W208 CLK320 convertible 65000 miles 2000 plate. Totally standard currently in need of a service.

The Background.

I haven't used the car for about a week when I went to it the otherday started it up fuel light on checked how many miles I had left it was on 0 no shock there as her in doors never fills my car up and its been sunny!!!!

So I did a short run to the petrol station filled up and picked the missus up whilst waiting at Tesco's idling the car.

Car had been running for about 20mins in total.

The problem.

The car just stopped without warning whilst idling no splutter no nothing just stopped.
It would not restart but was turning over really well just not firing.after a few attempts it started then stopped. Wouldn't restart again so I called out the RAC.

They arrived 1 hour later pretty good I thought and said try it again and sure enough it started and continued to run. There's me a little embarrassed and he was just packing up his van when it stopped again and wouldn't start.

SO he set about checking everything he didn't have the correct diagnostic equipment on board, which I thought was weird, so couldn't look to see if there was any fault codes.

He thought it sounded like the crank position sensor ( CPS) and discounted dirty fuel as it didn't splutter just cut out. Also he said the rev needle was still whilst turning another indicator of the CPS not working

Anyway he recommended a garage and duly towed me there so they could look at it in the morning.

The mystery deepens.

The garage popped it on their diagnostic and no fault codes were recorded.

He run the engine drove the car and it wouldn't cut out, he called to say that he concurred that it sounded like the CPS but didn't want to recommend going down that route as its was a £91 plus VAT part MB genuine part plus fitting so would be about £180 plus VAT!!

So he suggested he kept the car foir the day he will continue to try and make it fail and see if he could get to the bottom of the issue.

Long story I know but it didn't fail, so he suggested I take the car home as I was local and if it failed he would come out and see me so he could see the issue first hand. He didn't charge me by the way for looking at the car all day which I thought was very reasonable.

So now I am worried what if it cuts out on me again at a junction do I just run it and see or do I bite the bullit and get the sensor changed.

Looking at the forum its not a difficult job just fiddly and I am reasonable happy working on my own cars. Euro car aprts have the part for £65.00 discounted to £45 or the genuine MB one is £108 including VAT.

After a bit of advice does it sound like the usual CPS sensor failure of so I might change the part of shall I just wait and see!.

Long story so thanks for sticking with it! I am always very grateful for constructive thoughts!!

Cheers

Chris

Hi there

Does sound very much like the CPS , but wouldn't like to say for sure.

I will just say that the OEM part for my CLK V8 was only £90 from MB Brooklands. Take your VIN when you order one as there are a few different ones :)

No , I'm about as mechanically minded as an apple.

OK I think I will have a go, last question genuine MB part or Euro Car Parts ????
Does anyone have any thoughts?
£91.00 plus VAT MB will try and get cheaper
£45 inclusive on euro car parts St.Patricks day deal

Sensors and things are always best to go OEM

Probably will go OEM as I am keeping the car, quick question when they go or faulter doesn't any warning lights come on, should have mentioned but nothing lite up on the dash?

I don't think they do, as no fault is registered first, the SAM I think just cuts the engine. I had the same problem with fuel pumps, no codes thrown, no malfunction, would start, idle nice, fuel flow restricted, cough, SAM says stop. You would think codes would come up for that too.

No warning lights....but the needles on the dash dial just die, rather than gradually falling back to zero.

Definitely Sounds like the CPS then, the rev needle didn't move at all.

Time to get my sausage fingers in a tight spot!

Thanks heaps for letting the community know how you went.

Something about ALL Bosch systems.
The ECM requires an input signal from the crank sensor to light it up!
No signal and the whole system is dead.

The signal is usually a square wave hall effect and it can be seen if you hook up an oscilloscope or scanner equipped with such a feature to see it.

Heat is its killer and it will often fail at about 90,000 miles if subjected to heat soak . One example is a petrol Landrover Discovery 2. Cited behind the exhaust down pipe under a heat cover the thing with fail like clockwork every 90K or so. On that vehicle I treat it like service item, bin it! Otherwise it will fail, in service.

The precursor to failure is a sudden jolt in the power delivery on light cruise ; like something has momentarily seized, or a reluctance to respond to the throttle for a second.
Because of that it is sometimes hard for a repair shop to find it and only in a few instances will it recorded a stored code in the OBD2 system related to miss fires.

Always a factor in the back of anyone's experienced head in the repair shop of course is to check the engine harness for chafing and rub through!
4 & 5 banger Sprinters are notorious for it.

Rarer is the flywheel flex plate coming apart !
The segments will saw into the tip of the sensor & make it have a hissy fit!
Tuercas Viejas

Yes, just had the flex plate coming apart issue - which then caused the nose to fracture on the torque converter!

Thanks again to Carl and the team at MBS Southampton for doing the necessary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom