CLK320 soft top problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lt4vette

Hi,
I have just bought a CLK320 Cabriolet (Year 2000). I have a problem with the softop which stops while opening, and would like advice please.
It stops just before the very front section starts to tilt vertically. If I "help" it up by pushing gently, then the opening continues fine.
I have found a broken cable, which I assume is the cause of the problem. It is a cable on the right hand side (there is a similar cable, unbroken, on the LHS) which emerges from a tube near the front of the roof, and travels to the first transverse rib. It should go through a hole in this rib, and be secured by a metal "knob" on the end of the cable - to stop it pulling through the hole.
The problem is the knob has broken off, meaning the cable now is loose, and obviously doesn't do whatever it was supposed to.

So, two questions please:
1. Can anyone confirm that this cable could be the cause of my problem, or perhaps it is the result of some other (adjustment?) problem?
2. Does anyone know how to replace this cable (assuming I can by the part?

Thanks very much.

Not sure i fully understand the problem, but when you open the roof manually you need to make sure that the roof is "bent", before engaging the electronics. In other words push the roof up and ensure that the roof unlocks at the first position.

Apologies if you are already doing this, but it is a common problem.

Welcome to MBClub by the way,

Thanks Matt, I think you're right, at least in principle. If I keep my hand pushing it up while the electrics are working, it opens OK. If I just push it up initially until the roof is "bent", and take my hand off, it stays "bent" until I start the electrics, and then as the roof lifts it the front segment falls down into the "unbent" position again. Is it normal to have to push it virtually straight up by hand?
BTW, I checked the broken cable again - the one on the other side goes slack when the roof opens, so its obviously got nothing to do with lifting - not sure what it does, but I don't think its causing a problem.
Russell

When you release the roof catch , the windows drop , you have to lift the roof up by about 8 inches for it to retract properly electrically. To about 40 degrees. This ( i think ) is in the manual , i'll have a look when i get home.

If you just release the catch , and start the electrics , it won't retract .

Thanks. This is possibly just normal operation - the only difference is that I have to hold the roof up by a lot more than 8 inches, and keep holding it until the roof has started to move. Not a big deal - just means I have to undo my seatbelt and stand up a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom