CLK320 w208 after market stereo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UKChris

Car
CLK320
Hello,

I plan to use my CLK for the occasional business trip, and wish to upgrade the stereo to a new one. Specifically, the A10 audio system does not appear to have an auxiliary input, so, I can't use my iPad for music or connect a Parrot for my iPhone.

So, I looked at Halfords the other day, and they had some fantastic offers on Pioneer systems. The one I selected had bluetooth, a Parrot bluetooth phone system built in, and also connects directly to iPhone/ipad etc via a cable if required. Reduced to £115.

Halfords fitted the unit, and it slid in easily, with no extra bits required - no cutting of cradle, no extra cradle, and no adaptation to multi connector (it plugged straight in). The only things needed were an aerial adapter, plus a scotch lock connection to the back of the cigarette lighter. The latter ensured that the system switched off totally when the ignition was off, so no chance of leaving it on and draining the battery.
The FM reception was great, Parrot worked faultlessly and was very clear. HOWEVER, I listen to Radio 5 Live a lot, and the system would not pick up a single AM station. The technician (who was very good indeed) said that he had never come across this before - although it is a trait of aftermarket systems that AM reception is often poor. He fitted an aerial booster but nothing improved.

Reluctantly, we went back to the original system. AM reception was immediately fine (well, as good as AM ever gets), so has anyone got any ideas to help sort out the problem? I have read that the aerial connection wire can be a bit flimsy, but, surely if that was damaged, I would not get problem-free reception in the original unit, or am both in FM?

Any suggestions for a similar system that achieves my goals, or, do I have to install a separate Parrot system. I would also like a TomTom in there, but can see things getting a little cluttered!

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the help. I had searched back to early 2011 and had not seen any post ins. I should have gone back further!

That said, the link you listed seems to imply that the problem is with AM reception even on the original stereo. My A10 unit gives very good AM reception. So, could the issue be different?

Chris

Because there is such a marked difference between the 2 units I can only assume that the new unit is deficient in earthing in some way. e.g. its possible the old unit was effectively earthed via the radio casing whereas the new one isn't. there may be a discrete earth provided but could be faulty. There may also be a mismatch in terms of the connectors from one unit to another. the NEW unit may BE FAULTY!!! did the Halfords tech try another one? http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999801.pdf

see post above-- seems to be the more likely explanation :thumb:-- but down to different rear connectors as I was hinting might be the problem - just because a plug fits doesn't mean its 100% OK

Last edited:
I have just had Halfords fit the top of the range parrot bluetooth system for £185 all in. It works fantastic and connects to my iPhone 4 seamlessly , the sound is amazing and you don't need to change your A10.

That was something I was also thinking about, so thanks for that. it looks like a good way to go. Did they also get the steering controls to work with your Parrot? I know Parrot do an add-on module, but, cannot see that it works with CLK W208
Where did they mount the parrot?

Unfortunately there is no module for our car at the moment to make the steering wheel work. However they do supply a remote which can be fixed to the steering wheel, I preferred mine on the dash. I have attached a couple of pics. The sound really is amazing.

image-3526144384.jpg

image-1149820651.jpg

In the end, I had Halfords fit a Sony BT3900 unit (which only cost £90). The bluetooth module is built in, plus, it charges my iPhone when needed. No steering wheel controls, but, the button is not that far away! The caller's name appears on the unit's display.

The mic is built in to the unit, and I am thinking of having an external mic fitted (they cost about £10 on EBAY). I use a phone in the car quite a lot, but, so far no-one has complained about audio from the in-built mic , though that might change if I travel at higher speeds. The external mic on my Parrot in a previous car was superb, so, it is why I am thinking of upgrading it.

Another advantage is that I can stream bluetooth audio from my iPad, which I find really useful indeed.

Hi I've recently bought my 2001 CLK320, i booked it in at Halfords to have the Parrot fitted but 2 hours later when i went to collect the engineer said he couldn't find a switched live, i suggested the cigarette lighter but he said he couldn't get to the wires??, its now booked in again on Tuesday but he's told me he needs to run a switched live from the fuse box in the boot, I'm not confident he knows what he's doing.

I may just get the fitting charge back and fit it myself, the only bit I'm not sure about is where to fit the microphone, where did they mount yours??.

Cheers Glyn

I'd have thought there would have been a switched live on the ISO connector from the car .

Take the switch live from the cig lighter as you suggest. 5 min job and if he cant do that he is either incapable or trying to overcharge.

It sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing so I wouldn't let him mess any more, and what's this boot nonsense? The engineer at Halfords Sutton Coldfield was brilliant, it took him just 1 hour. He stated he had to switch a wire but it wasn't a problem. He certainly didn't mess with a boot wire. I would try a different halfords if I were you.

It sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing so I wouldn't let him mess any more, and what's this boot nonsense? The engineer at Halfords Sutton Coldfield was brilliant, it took him just 1 hour. He stated he had to switch a wire but it wasn't a problem. He certainly didn't mess with a boot wire. I would try a different halfords if I were you.

I decided i wasnt happy letting them fit it, i went this morning and got a refund on the fitting, they also gave me a new screen lead as he had damaged the original by ramming it in a gap with a screwdriver, got back home 11am and it was all installed and working by 12:30, i took the switched feed from the cigarette lighter and it was a piece of cake, ran the mic to the rear view mirror down the front pillar and through the fuse box to the stereo area.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers Glyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom