CLK350 'A' Service???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt32AMG

Car
June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
Ok Guys , my CLK has just announced to me, rudely I might add, that I require an ‘A ‘ service in 30 days. Now normally, I wouldn’t whinge too much but, the car only had a ‘B’ service 3223 miles ago at (15684) miles and at not inconsiderable cost. It’s funny how this has only just come up since collecting the car from Mercedes after their investigating yet more issues with seat belt presenters, (3rd time that still have a life of their own, and a rain sensor that doesn’t sense when it rains). Presumably having put the car on diagnostics to try and find the seat belt and rain sensor error, it’s been reset and suddenly thought, hmmn hasn’t had a serviced for a year, better give it on then. :(
More irritatingly, the car only announced to me about three weeks ago that the next service is due in 12600 odd miles!! Or am I just being a cynical so and so? :rolleyes::(

Anyway before anyone asks, yes the ‘B’ service was carried out on the 22/02/09, but even so, given that the oil fitted is fully synthetic Mobile1, there cannot be any sort of degradation given so few miles have been covered since the last major service, therefore I question what do they do that justify this interim service when the car has had so little use? Am I alone thinking this is money for the boys??? :mad:

By implication this suggests to me, if you bought the car a year ago having just had it been given a full ‘B’ service and covered say 300 hundred miles in the following 12months, it’d still want a service. This is like Ferrari type of maintenance, nuts :mad: :crazy:

Last edited:
fully agree on my c63 its 15k miles or 1 year whichever comes first so yes easy guaranteed £ for the stealers!

I think MB have changed there service intervals to annually now, apparently at the request of the customers....I doubt that.

When my Dad's A-class went in for a service a similar thing happened, so I called the dealer and questioned it and they ask us to take the car back in and they reset it.

Just spoken with MB Dealer and explained the position regarding this ‘A service’ required indicator I’m seeing. I explained that the car had only covered a few thousand miles since the Last Big ‘B’ service, admittedly a year ago, but even so, this is crazy. :crazy: To which, and all due respect the dealer, he said that’s odd as my car isn’t on annual service schedule, this was introduced later in the year that my car was manufactured. Bring it in Monday and we’ll look at it on diagnostics and see if we can reset it. :dk:

So, maybe it’ll get sorted in a way that is more commensurate with the use the car has had. :dk: Don’t get me wrong, I look after my cars, fanatically so, but to have this service in accordance with what is being indicated is needless expense in my view. :)

Last edited:
Different views on this, mine has gone 2yrs since last service but I work from home and really only use my car for the occasional long run (200-400 miles) and use another car for running around.

Some people think it's insane to leave oil in the car for 2 years. If you suggested it to someone in the US, where they seem to like to change oil every 3mths, they'd probably want to run you out of town.

Different views on this, mine has gone 2yrs since last service but I work from home and really only use my car for the occasional long run (200-400 miles) and use another car for running around.

Some people think it's insane to leave oil in the car for 2 years. If you suggested it to someone in the US, where they seem to like to change oil every 3mths, they'd probably want to run you out of town.

Mine gets used pretty much daily, but covers maybe 3 miles back and forth to the office, then on occasion it'll do maybe a 100 mile trip. The point is the oil is moved around the engine daily, therefore there is no settlement of the lubricants through lack of use or starting a dry engine.:)

The oil gets condensation in it if the car is only used for short journeys and the condensation becomes acidic.

Mine gets used pretty much daily, but covers maybe 3 miles back and forth to the office, then on occasion it'll do maybe a 100 mile trip.
You've just described a usage pattern that gives the oil a very hard time. As Rory said, the condensation caused by combustion doesn't get evaporated off as the oil doesn't get up to operating temperature. This condensation is acidic and can cause major corrosion problems inside the engine. At the very least, change the oil and filter annually - but more regular changes may be appropriate with that usage pattern.

You've just described a usage pattern that gives the oil a very hard time. As Rory said, the condensation caused by combustion doesn't get evaporated off as the oil doesn't get up to operating temperature. This condensation is acidic and can cause major corrosion problems inside the engine. At the very least, change the oil and filter annually - but more regular changes may be appropriate with that usage pattern.

OK point understood, but with all due respect, I will say the engine always gets to full operating temperatures, and given that the oil is fully synthetic Mobil1, the breakdown of the oils composition will be marginal, and given when I say I am fanatical about my car maintenance, (I’m not kidding). I change the oils and filters in both my Mercedes at 6000 mile intervals, half that of the suggested maintenance schedules in the service books. So in my view, this should more than keep the oily bits in optimum condition. :)

Last edited:
dont let it go over two years or no mobilo life cover!

It'll be a few days over as I wanted to get a planned long trip in before the service - this will be the last service under ServicePlus.

Not sure of the rules but I'm assuming that there's some leeway in the service date, particularly as it hasn't done too many miles since last service.

Bring it in Monday and we’ll look at it on diagnostics and see if we can reset it. :dk:

So, maybe it’ll get sorted in a way that is more commensurate with the use the car has had. :dk: Don’t get me wrong, I look after my cars, fanatically so, but to have this service in accordance with what is being indicated is needless expense in my view. :)

Here's the update on the ‘A service’ required indicator' I’m seeing. Having covered the 3200 odd miles since the 'B Service'.

Having taken the car back down to the dealership, they informed me that the car does require the service, as it's either 15000 miles or every 12 months which ever is first. :crazy:

So in short, it seems that since this measure was introduced, November 2006, because of company lease cars, thus ensuring the car gets serviced regularly over a three year lease period, the private owner who uses his car shall we say perhaps less than a company car, is getting slotted into the same category.

I think it’s absolutely outrageous that I’ve got to do this, but if I don’t this is what it will potentially cost me.
· I potentially will lose all, if any good will from MB.
· Mobilo life cover will go out the window.
· It will affect the cost of extended warranties if at all available, as I didn’t do the ‘A’ service when ordered to. (My warranty expires next month).
· Unable to offset costs against tax being the car is privately owned.

I feel particularly aggrieved for the following:

· That of having the distinct feeling of being fined for ownership.
· Because I consider didn't use it enough to warrant this.
· I can buy the car and not use it, but it will still tell me I have to have it serviced when they say regardless of use or mileage covered.
· That I will get a ‘B service indicater come up in the next 3000 miles at a further cost of £600 +.
· It’s money for the boys.
· Choice of how I run and look after my cars has been taken away. (You VILL DO VAAT VE SAY OR ELSE VE HAVE VAYS OF MAKING YOU!)
· Being had over a barrel :mad:

Needless to say I've booked it in for the service, (£250 +VAT), but I'm thinking, hmmn extended warranty? Ssomething like £911 + a year, not forgetting of course the initial inspection fee with another chance to slap me for some more dosh on top, this for fixing whatever before the car passes the extended warranty criteria, and then the servicing costs irrespective of usage, and I've barely turned a wheel yet. :( Happy days! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I absolutely understand your feelings Matt32AMG. I used to do more miles than you so did not have the same dilemma but did have to decide whether to stick with the main dealer service or go independent and for some of the reasons you state I went with the indie.

I don’t have any warranty on the car so any and all costs will be borne by me. What do you do with your SLK – indie or dealer?

I absolutely understand your feelings Matt32AMG. I used to do more miles than you so did not have the same dilemma but did have to decide whether to stick with the main dealer service or go independent and for some of the reasons you state I went with the indie.

I don’t have any warranty on the car so any and all costs will be borne by me. What do you do with your SLK – indie or dealer?

Hi Peter
My SLK32amg goes to the Main dealer as it always has, but it is not subject to the same shall we say, 'restrictions' or 'fines' as the CLK. I service it when inspection indicator lights up. But I also do interim oil changes at every 6000K covered, (as indicated earlier in this thread). The car has no MB warranty as it is now 8 years old, but it’s still only covered 40K and has been pretty reliable to date, aside from teething issues in the early days. Most notably 8 Heated seat elements, one complete Xenon unit, two bottom Ball joints, and a couple of Speakers that were all done under warranty. Outside warranty I've had to do the Supercharger pump, and a Battery. In short all n all I've enjoyed ownership of this car since day one

Regards Matt :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom