CLK430 brake pedal not returning when interior of car is hot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Senator

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK430 Convertible
Hi all,

The brake pedal in my 2000 CLK430 doesn't return upwards when the interior of the car is hot. The braking action is fine, the car stops exactly as it should, but the pedal won't return and needs a nudge with my left foot.

It is directly related to the interior temperature of the car:
  • If the weather is cool it works fine
  • If the weather is hot and the car cover has been on, it works fine
  • If the weather is hot and the car has been sitting in the sun with no cover, the pedal problem appears.
I've searched and found posts on other forums suggesting this is a common problem on cars of this vintage, caused by the aging pin/bush assembly in the brake pedal hinge mechanism. This description seems to be plausible and definitely fits the symptoms, but unfortunately none of the posts I've seen give any info on how to actually access these items and fix the issue. I've looked under the dash I can't even see the mechanism at the top of the brake pedal, which makes me think it's not an easy job.

Does anyone have a 'how to' on this problem? Or is it best left to a professional?

Thanks

Hi all,

The brake pedal in my 2000 CLK430 doesn't return upwards when the interior of the car is hot. The braking action is fine, the car stops exactly as it should, but the pedal won't return and needs a nudge with my left foot.

It is directly related to the interior temperature of the car:
  • If the weather is cool it works fine
  • If the weather is hot and the car cover has been on, it works fine
  • If the weather is hot and the car has been sitting in the sun with no cover, the pedal problem appears.
I've searched and found posts on other forums suggesting this is a common problem on cars of this vintage, caused by the aging pin/bush assembly in the brake pedal hinge mechanism. This description seems to be plausible and definitely fits the symptoms, but unfortunately none of the posts I've seen give any info on how to actually access these items and fix the issue. I've looked under the dash I can't even see the mechanism at the top of the brake pedal, which makes me think it's not an easy job.

Does anyone have a 'how to' on this problem? Or is it best left to a professional?

Thanks

Hi,

Did you ever resolve your sticky brake problem? I have exactly the same symptoms on my clk430 but can't find any how to guides to help diagnose.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

No, it went away on it's own. Only happened on hot days so if it re-appears this summer I'll need to get it sorted.

Have had same problem for years, just hook up the pedal with your foot.
Push the pedal down hard it usually releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom