Clk430 engine oil leaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Equinox

Car
No Benz yet
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy one of these. I went to see one today and was a bit appalled at the number of leaks I could spot in the engine bay so I walked away.

One was dripping directly onto the exhaust manifold, a drop every 20-30 seconds, the other appeared to be from the left bank head gasket and the other was originating somewhere aft of the oil filler cap.

My question is whether these engines are particularly prone to engine oil leaks? If so, are there common locations ( I found a post about a breather cover leak?) where oil leaks emanate from on these cars?

All advice on this appreciated.

The breather covers on the M113 V8 are prone to leaks. They use a sealant rather than a gasket. Other leaks shouldn't be apparent. I'd have walked too.

Thanks AMGeed, much appreciated.
Where will the breather cover leaks be most evident as I'm not particularly experienced in poking around these engines.

Will it be around coil packs or nearby?

Not known for being very leaky

As mentioned above , valve cover gaskets do weep bit are generally an easy fix (new gaskets and breather re-done)

Other places which are quite common ;

- oil cooler seals (look below the toil filter housing)
- timing case cover plate (same general area as oil cooler seals and not are worth doing at same time)

That's about it really - on both of mine everything else is pretty much bone dry

P.S - is this for your daily driver ? I'm very happy work my clk430 for my daily commute , it's a nice and comfortable place to be and has the power when required.

Expect teens around town - I've seen 32mpg on a run

Last edited:
Rocker cover breather plates
Oil cooler seals
Oil filter housing seal
Blank plate to lower oil filter housing
Knackered crank pully cutting into front cover
Rear main seal

All the above are common, the last 2 being the more expensive to repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom