clk430 lumpy idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meb

Car
SL500 R230
Have a bit of lumpy idle on my y2k clk 430 v8 and a slightly bumpy creep. I took it to an independent MB garage and he said it is normal and MB had a few complaints about the lumpy idle when these cars were new - anyone else heard this?

No other problems with it at all but anyone know how this idle could be made smoother?

Thanks

i have the 320 which you will be quick to note is only V6.

i experience the same

I have been told that this is characteristic of my engine.

dunno if it is true about yours

dunno if it is true at all

but at least there is 2 of us wondering

My old C240 V6 Sport did this as well, I tried changing coils, plugs etc and nothing fixed it, It wasn't very bad but the engine did rock about slightly in the engine bay... I just lived with it in the end....

Erm had both V6 and V8 versions of the 208 CLK. I'd suggest you check for a misfire - its common on the V8 especially (16 plugs and leads ! Ouch !).

Had them replaced on the AMG - thanfully under warranty. Same problem - slight 'wobble' whilst idling.

Get a dealer to check.

sounds interesting, does that mean you had a smooth idle post adjustment?

Yes no wobble or shake once adjusted. Turned out to be the HT leads, causing one of the spark plugs on cylinder 7 not to fire. Stress this happened on the AMG engine, not the V6's.

For the V6's - its a naturally unbalanced engine anyway, so it has a counterbalance shaft to stop the 'shake'. I've never experienced it though - I had both a Coupe and a Cab - neither had a wobble. I'd definately get it checked at several difference dealers.

Cheers.

That's interesting - I was wondring if our C43 was a little uneven at tickover the other day... Only noticeable in Neutral, not when in Drive. I suppose 1 plug out of 16 wont make that much difference to the performance when just pottering about!

Noticed the odd 'twitch' on mine when sat at traffic lights, will get it checked out before my warranty runs out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom