CLK500 5 or 7 speed auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love auto's in fact I am thinking of donating my left leg to science.

Bit like the England team i dont use it much, other than to prop myself up!

I had a CLK 500 for 2 years and averaged 26 mpg over 45000 miles. 7 speed box had to be reset once under warranty for jerky change down from 2 to 1. This you only really see if you use the car in S mode. Can be quite hard on tyres, mine would wear edges first regardless of tyres pressures. Something to do with the steering geometry I think. Other than that it was a great car and I always wanted to own a V8 for a bit so it ticked the boxes for me. Good luck in your search. Steve

Oh and look out for the spark plug change its v expensive at the main dealers!!

As i intend on owning a clk500 in the near future,how much do dealers charge & what is the scheduled mileage they need to be replaced?

IIRC about £10 per plug x 16 £160 plus labour. So at main dealer rates £300 - £400.

I had our car on a service contract and paid about £90 per month for 18000 miles per year

Sorry mileage wise I think its 4 years / 60000. I may be wrong on this one though. Mine were replaced on age. Also remember you have things like brake fluid every 2 years. So when buying a 4 year old car its worth checking that these have been done. Or negotiate the price accordingly

More really useful and interesting advice. I am particularly grateful for the clarification regarding when galvanising started. I suspect that is more important to me than worrying too much about a 5 or 7 speed gearbox.

The fuel consumption figures are interesting and enlightening. I wonder if there is much difference in consumption between the 5 litre, 5.5 AMG and 5.5 388 bhp engines? With the same driver of course.

As you previously owned a clk500 & i want one in the near future,anything i should look out for on these v8's baldguy?

As most on here will say... try and get the latest model possible, my 500 was a 52 plate and very highly specced, it was a great car although I had gearbox issues with it as I have had with my 55..

For a 306bhp car it goes very well and was a joy to drive...
My 500 and the current 55 have zero rust, all I can say is check every button, check that the seats/headrests all work electrically, the gearbox should be smooth with no jerky changes, listen for the stepper motor fault when you start the car up... its continual clicking for a minute or so from the heater then it will stop... this job alone is about £700 - £1000 depending on which motores need replacing...

I cant really think of any major issues to look out for... every car has its nightmares so just make sure you check everything, take it for a good long drive and try and get to start it from cold...

Your quite localish to me if you'd like another pair of eyes to come along with you...

Cheers

Thanks for the advice/offer mate,won't be buying till end of the year so just trying to get as much info/advice so i can go looking well prepared when the time comes;)

Excuse me Baldguy but do I take it you have had issues with both 5 and 7 speed auto box's then? Serious, expensive, issues?

Do you feel the 7 speed is a worthwhile improvement over the five?

Thanks for all your other useful advice.

Both of baldys are 5 speed. TBH stick with the 5 speed. There is no need for 7 gears on such a powerful engine

Very sorry to hear about the big bills. From 1975 to 1989 I owned one s/h and two new Mercedes, did big miles, and none of them cost me a penny other than scheduled maintenance. Now I am fearful of buying one!

My present car with a five speed ZF auto has just past 171,000 miles with never a moments problem from the gearbox. My previous car, also with five speed ZF did 130,000 before I sold it, and again no problems.

Still would like a CLK500 but worried about the possible bills!

Dont let this put you off... I've just been unlucky and like my cars to be tiptop... however I will not be buying another Mercedes when I change...

I had numerous s/w updates with the 7G in my 203 followed by an electro hydraulic control unit failure at 45K miles. To be honest the 5 speed box in the wife's SLK is just as good.

Well I guess this thread has about run its course and I want to thank everyone again for their helpful advice and views. I am a little depressed by what I have heard and I am particularly sorry to hear that Bald Guy will not be buying another Mercedes.

A final question comes to my mind. It is no secret that Mercedes lost their long standing excellent reputation recently with sub standard quality cars. The J D Power surveys showed this clearly. However I had the impression that they had now got their act together and all was well. Is there a date after which one can reasonably expect that their cars will be back to the quality and reliability that made them famous for a century?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom