CLK500 gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
I have a problem with the auto gearbox on my CLK500. It is starting to stick in one gear from time to time. This is intermittent and often stopping and restarting the car will clear the problem and it will drive ok. Then it happens again.....

I guessing ATF level....car has done 80,000 and I think Gearbox oil changed around 50,000

I have ordered a dipstick off ebay so I can check the fluid level.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track?

I once had this with a BMW and it turned out to be that the gearbox was overheating so in an attempt to lose heat it would stick to gears for alot longer than normal.

Turned out the gearbox cooler was clogged.

I'd get the codes read, could be anything from a solenoid to a faulty sensor to the ATF fluid being low.

My Range Rover did this and it was by design, especially if driving up hills for a long period.

Don't think it is overheating as it is happening on normal commute....has never happened before.

I always like to have some idea of what could be wrong before I take it to a mechanic so I don't have the wool pulled over my eyes!

Guess codes need to be read and probably ATF filter and oil changed?

+1 for getting the codes read before wasting time/money on something it could be:thumb:

Mine was happening on a normal commute too :).

I only knew it was overheating because I plugged it into the diagnostic reader I bought off ebay when I got home and it showed the gearbox oil temp to be through the roof. I also noticed that if I turned the heaters on full blast it would stop sticking to the gears and continue as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom