CLK500 v C220cdi Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
After four years in a company car I'm having to go private. Over the years Ive been lucky to have had all of the modern diesel saloons including the new C and E. I commute 60 miles per day up and down the A3. I'm now faced with a choice of getting something I haven't been able to pick over the last few years e.g. there is a lovely CLK500 sport on pistonheads or go for a standard car like a 220cdi C saloon sport. I know they are very different cars and the C is obviously more frugal. I reckon the difference in fuel and running costs is about £150pm. But then I would probably smile a bit more with the CLK which you can't put a value on. Any views appreciated....

V8 or a diesel? hmmmm

The £150 per month extra running costs will be more than cancelled out with the 'smiles per mile' you get from a big V8 :cool:

£150 per month? Presumably out of taxed income.

It's not like you can often use the V-eightiness on the rush hour A3. If it's just for the weekend blasts then that money may be better spent on AMG drives at MB World.

I'm sure V8s are wonderful, but how often can you really use the extra cylinders in this day and age?

I manage it pretty much all the time . I don't mean driving like an idiot though. :eek:

Even just a little prod on a clear stretch of road makes me grin .... traffic lights ? if it's quiet , a little prod raises a smile :)

The waterworks road leading to Lower Sunbury ? ;)

^I'm with Howard....I pretty much blow the cobwebs out every day....and when I get stuck in traffic, I just listen to the V8 burble! :D

Both? The £1800p.a. you save on the commute should pay insurance, tax, running costs (given the low miles) on the 500 with some left over to cover (a bit of) the depreciation.

Why not compromise and go for a C350cdi still a decent bit of poke and not too bad on mpg

As long as you give me plenty of room when I'm on my bicycle ;)

Of course .... i love cyclists ! :D

In fact i had a little jolly down there just now in the purple peril , which was surprisingly fun , but without the all important soundtrack ...

get the V8 and sacrifice going to the pub & gym membership..:bannana:
:D:D

The V8 - effortless and capable of keeping up or beasting most other cars.. with a few subtle changes to the exhaust they can still be near silent on the cruise but magnificent when you give it the niagras :D

There is really no comparison here. Take the CLK500 and use the B roads instead of A3 to get to work and back. You will be getting up in the morning in the anticipation of the drive, and all day will look forward to your drive home! I do 70 mile round trip to work and love every minute. If this was my choice, I would even go for a CLK55 and get a lot more for my money. These are very cheap now and not much more expensive than the CLK500, but you will get a better engine, brakes, suspension, interior, toys, etc. not much different on fuel use either.
Mel.

If you are an accountant get the diesel, if you have a soul get the V8.

Thanks for all your posts. This has confirmed what I was thinking, V8 me up! Will post some pics once I've found the car.

I'm with artyman, a C350CDi Sport would be a good compromise, and in modern high fuel cost times, will perhaps hold onto it's value more than a V8 guzzler.

An alternative would be the BMW 335D, or 535D, amazing performance for the MPG

I have a CLK500 convertible and a C270cdi estate. The CLK500 does about 24mpg on a regular 25 mile commute and the C270 about 40mpg (and up to mid 50s on a long run)

Mo doubt, the CLK500 convertible is more fun to drive, especially with top down although the C270 is no slouch and has a decent amount of power, especially with a Brabus tuning box fitted.

The CLK is marginally more expensive to insure but servicing costs are about the same. However, the CLK does use significantly more fuel!!

The CLK is good because it is fast and smooth and is a convertible.
The C270 is good because it is quick and smooth and has room for dogs, family etc.

I'm with artyman, a C350CDi Sport would be a good compromise, and in modern high fuel cost times, will perhaps hold onto it's value more than a V8 guzzler.

An alternative would be the BMW 335D, or 535D, amazing performance for the MPG

Hilarious cars the V6 CDI C classes, brilliantly quick. The 35d BMWs take it to a new level and will be faster than a CLK500 and more frugal.

A lot go for the V8s because of the noise/smoothness of them, but on paper the later 6 pot diesels to have them almost covered

Just to update you, I've put a deposit down on a 2006 CLK500 cab Sport today. Silver, black leather, AMG styling pack, black hood, Command, TV, Xenons, Heated Seats, Parktronic, 43K miles. Pleased to see the price of oil drop $10 today :)

Pics to follow, collect in 2 weeks, thanks for those of you who encouraged me to live a little bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom