CLK500 w209 clicking dashboard heater thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philnewmerc

Car
CLS55
Hello everyone, I hope you can help as u usually do 👍. I've recently bought a CLK 500 and I'm very pleased with it and I did know it had a clicking dash, because they all do! 🤦‍♂️😅 I have read that simply leaving this will do no harm and may not get any worse, is that true? I've also read that you can unplug the stepper motors in the dash by reaching in through the radio multimedia section and simply unplug them one at a time until it stops clicking, is that true or have I got this **** about face? Any advice and how to cheaply stop clicking would be much appreciated as the car is too old and of little value to warrant taking the dash out and I'm not even that bothered by the clicking, but if there's a relatively simple bodge I would be all ears. Cheers 🤞👍

Blend door actuator. 100% this thing. It’s mostly an annoyance and won’t harm anything. It is an easy fix for yourself if the car is not in warranty. I think there are even YouTube videos on the subject. It’s basically just tearing the dash apart and 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 replacing it.

Depending on which motor has gone, you might find you can't get air out of one of the vent positions. It went in my W203, and I had constant hot air blowing on my feet. Very annoying in summer.
So I was able to remove the radio and all the centre console and panelling, and I was just about able to painfully stuff my hand into a tiny, sharp jaggedy metal caged space (think something like that Flash Gordon scene with Peter Duncan) and replace the motor with a £15 second hand unit of eBay.

It was well worth it, and I had use of my hand again in less than a month 👍

Thanks both. As far as I can tell the heating all works fine so perhaps I'll leave it until it fails (from the invoices I can see this started 7 years ago and it still works!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom