CLK55 2003 W209 - Light Sensor Visit Workshop & Sensor revisions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazfaldo

Car
CLK55 AMG W209
Hi All,

My wife came home last week after a trip in our 2003 CLK55 with a nice little present for me to fix.
The dash showed "Light sensor - Visit Workshop" error....great!.

I have read all the posts on various forums across the web regarding this error to try and resolve issue.

First I started with checking for low voltage seeing as we have had cold weather and we don't use the car much, the battery is only 6 months old genuine MB 100AH, never had an issue with slow starting ETC but charged it fully anyway. Still get error message after every startup. The alternator regulator was replaced last year also and I see a healthy 14.4v when engine is running.

I decided to buy a replacement light/rain sensor from my local MB dealer, £53 +vat and hope this resolved the issue. I was told there have been many revisions of this part and I now have the latest part.

I have now installed the light/rain sensor on the top of windscreen behind the RVM. The error message has stopped alarming so it appears this sensor was faulty.....however the car now thinks its permanently dark as the command unit screen is always dark and headlights always come on during daylight when switched to Auto.

I have been informed that the new sensor needs to be coded to the car via STAR and correct windscreen type to be entered, Is this correct?, I have my car booked in next week at my Local Indie who has STAR facilities. Just looking for any advice on these sensors.

Also the new replacement sensor now has an S-Class part number A221 870 00 92 and is missing the grey long resister type device which I have learnt is a heating element? My original part A209 820 07 26 has this. I am worried I am missing some functionality of this unit although MB parts confirmed this as the correct and only replacement and is shared between the CLK and S-Class.

These are the revisions I have found searching Ebay
A209 820 07 26 - Part build date 05/2002 -> (my original part)
A209 820 24 26 - 04/2003 ->
A209 820 31 26 - 07/2004 ->
A209 820 49 26 - 10/2005 Heating element now removed from sensor
Now changed to S-Class part number
A221 870 28 26
A221 870 88 26
A221 870 00 92 - Current part number for CLK and S-Class

So looking at sensor revisions it appears the heating element was removed during 2005 around the time of the facelift CLK.

Do I need the heating element in this sensor? should I just buy a replacement like for like part off ebay with the heating element and take a chance it still works correctly?. Why so many revisions? are the later versions better? Does it need coding via STAR to work correctly again?

Any info on this very much appreciated

Regards

Attachments

• rain-light-sensor.jpg
    rain-light-sensor.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 28
If anyone's interested in The fix to this issue. My indie garage which I highly recommend...Keys Bexleyheath speak to Danny.
Ok so they cleared the codes via STAR. No difference. Disconnected the battery for a while... No difference. Light sensor still not working thinks it's dark all the time...command screen black during the day...this is a brand new sensor.

Next step disconnect new sensor from windscreen turn ignition on cause error on dash. Clear codes. Reconnect sensor but don't attach to windscreen . Suddenly starts working. Reconnect to windscreen. Calibrate rain sensor by adding water to screen by sensor then turn wipers on full setting stalk setting 2. Then turn off.

Job done..... No STAR programming or settings required apparently only if you replace the screen and have a different tint.

Hope this helps people out there. I probably could of fixed it my self by disconnecting the new sensor and turning ignition on and off ETC then adding sensor. STAR was not required and battery disconnect didn't apparently do anything however probably best to clear the codes via STAR.

In hindsight if I had of disconnected again I might of fixed it myself but thought I needed STAR programming to resolve as per previous posts on the web. But it's quite delicate tricky sensor to attach to the screen so left it alone after I installed the new one. Just use very small jewellers flat blade screwdriver for the 4 plastic tabs.

Light sensor now working a treat and command screen is now yellow during light day hours. And auto light mode working correctly...only comes on after dark. Also location lights now suddenly working which is nice. Old sensor was well and truly knackered.

Last edited:
This is very helpful. I’ve just bought a used part from eBay A209 820 31 26 - 07/2004 as a direct replacement for my ‘04 CLK500. I may well find your guidance helpful if the fitting doesn’t go to plan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom