CLK55 AMG M113 engine leak //oil pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gwizdus

Car
W209 55AMG 2003
Hey guys!
So I've got my lovely car for over 2 years and done loads of work but one thing still remains unsolved. Since I bought the car I've got a leak between somewhere between engine and transmission probably from the main rear seal although it was already changed twice (original one from dealership) and the problem after a month or less comes back. The leak is not a bad one, I don't leave huge spots on street but you can definitely see how wet is the connection or rather the area around and when it's hot outside during summer You can smell the oil once the engine gets hot and that's irritating.
I've been asking around about that issue and I was told to check the oil pressure in engine, funny enough I you may know there is no indicator in this engine to tell you anything about that so if you are about to blow your engine it will show nothing at all. Anyway is it possible that too high pressure can make the seal move and make the leak come back again?
I've done the measurement yesterday and
found that the correct should be 3.03bar although I'm not sure on what rpms. According to the video it seems that it may a bit to high in my understanding unless I'm wrong but anyway the question is, can it that be the reason why I see the leak? 🤔
Any other ideas what can cause that?
I include video of the measurement.
Edit: unfortunately I can't even after packing it to.zip file is to large

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
maybe that way it will work

Last edited:
M113k according to WIS at idle ~700 rpm oil pressure should read >0.7bar, at 3000 rpm oil pressure should read >3.0bar.

There can be a leak on an M113 engine that is as rare as it is difficult to diagnose. The leaking oil drips around the bell housing making it seem like the sump or crank seal when it is in fact....wait for it ...one of the 3 welch plugs in the middle of the V on the top of the engine underneath the intake unit !

They are about £5 each (1179970230) Try and look under the intake into the area on top of the casting in-between the V with a endoscope camera or just remove the intake and have a look, not easy , but a lot easier than dropping the steering rack removing the sump and gearbox looking for the leak.

Ask me how I know. :(

I also find it ridiculous that there is no way of knowing your M113 engine is low on oil pressure until it is too late, but there are few recorded failures reported during normal road use so I guess they just left it as it was from day one.

Kits are available to fit a oil switch/light/meter . There is a forward facing blanking plug on the oil cooler/filter assembly that can be tapped into.

The culprit on mine was number 41...£4.60 + VAT. :) , a bit more if you pay someone else to get to it :eek:
View attachment 107907
Ahhh - I think I have this on my car... (2003 CLK55).

Can you say any more Pete. Easy / hard, any tips?

Tempted to have a look when the weather improves.

Last edited:
M113k according to WIS at idle ~700 rpm oil pressure should read >0.7bar, at 3000 rpm oil pressure should read >3.0bar.
So according to that, it is indeed to high 🤔 but now what could be cause of that.. 🙄 And note that my is not supercharged and that k after M113 means that those measures are for a bit more powerful engine, not sure if that makes difference

The culprit on mine was number 41...£4.60 + VAT. :) , a bit more if you pay someone else to get to it :eek:
View attachment 107907
Oh thanks a lot for that tip, I doubt it was checked by the guy who's doing work on the car especially if its hidden like you said and if you don't know what to look for. I'll check that this week maybe and also can tomorrow add some photos from under the car to show you guys where exactly that leak appear.
And BTW my is the same year as @breezey car, 2003

So according to that, it is indeed to high 🤔 but now what could be cause of that.. 🙄 And note that my is not supercharged and that k after M113 means that those measures are for a bit more powerful engine, not sure if that makes difference
Hi
If you're oil pressure is higher than those stated is not an issue, as long as it is greater than the stated figure hence the use of ">" symbol.
The rear crank seal is very common issue for the 113, did you do the job yourself? Was the modified seal and seal housing/casing used? Or just the seal itself?
Mine was done and starting leaking again within 6-8 months and was picked up in a service by the same mechanic and he replaced it again FOC this time using the modified seal arrangement 3 years later no leak.

The oil pressure is fine; very healthy, in fact. Nothing to worry about there.

The usual culprit for a hot oil smell on the M113 is one or both of the camshaft breathers at the top end allowing a little oil to seep out. I have this on both of my M113s, and will either sort them myself, or have it done at their next services.

The oil pressure is fine; very healthy, in fact. Nothing to worry about there.

The usual culprit for a hot oil smell on the M113 is one or both of the camshaft breathers at the top end allowing a little oil to seep out. I have this on both of my M113s, and will either sort them myself, or have it done at their next services.
Hah so I don't know how to read this measures at all in that case, but if they are good as you says the problem lays somewhere else maybe it is that plug on top of the engine, I've tried to do take sneeky peak but without camera or removing some of the parts can't see anything and it's a bit cold now to do some work outside ❄️

If you are not losing much oil it is probably the notorious M113 valve cover gaskets weeping a bit of oil on to the manifolds, I had mine done along with a few other minor leaks a few years back. If it is the leak in the V it drops a fair bit of oil and looks like this from underneath.

oil leak.jpg

Sump to the left, gearbox to the right on this image. You can clearly see the oil coming from above .

If the rear crank seal is gone popping the plastic/rubber covers off the bottom of the transmission bell housing allows pretty good access to have a look at the area where the leaking oil would be if the seal was duff.

If the rear crank seal is gone popping the plastic/rubber covers off the bottom of the transmission bell housing allows pretty good access to have a look at the area where the leaking oil would be if the seal was duff.
I can't find photos from time when that main rear seal other than those, a bit blurry. And the dark ones I took today, just to show you where that leak appears and how it looks like, as I said It may look bad but last time It was checked was a year ago, time when those blurry photos were taken. Even now it doesn't leave huge spots on ground, it's just wet. Once it's get hot it's not surprise you can smell oil in car 😅
I just hope to sort that out at some point, I've already invested quite a lot time and money in to it but still it's a lovely car 😊
Video I took today, freezing outside ❄️

Attachments

• DSC_0961.JPG
    DSC_0961.JPG
    967.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0962.JPG
    DSC_0962.JPG
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0960.JPG
    DSC_0960.JPG
    643.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0972.JPG
    DSC_0972.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210126_153346.jpg
    IMG_20210126_153346.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210126_153353.jpg
    IMG_20210126_153353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
if this is a years worth you don't have a major leak, just an annoying one and a potential MOT failure (if the MOT guy is a stickler for the rules). You will need to clean the entire bottom of the car before you go any further, It could still be from a plug at the top of the engine as discussed, but this is no where near as bad as when they actually leak, I am talking about not parking it on anyone's driveway and clouds of smoke from under the car when driving , plus topping up once a week...that bad.

Hi lads, I have a very similar leak and I’m fairly sure it’s from one of those plugs..today I removed the secondary air blower and pretty much directly below the pump was one of those plugs which was VERY wet with a lot of oil all along the top of the “V”
For the lads that have changed the plugs is there anything important that I need to know?????

Attachments

• F3F390CD-426C-4307-A8E7-140E6F94DD88.jpeg
    F3F390CD-426C-4307-A8E7-140E6F94DD88.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • FFC4FD03-098D-4C04-9AD1-4C3335AFA0FE.jpeg
    FFC4FD03-098D-4C04-9AD1-4C3335AFA0FE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Sorry Irish ,I can add no more , my indie did mine . I would guess one tip would be FFS please don't drop anything down the hole once you have the plug removed :eek::eek: !!:p

Sorry Irish ,I can add no more , my indie did mine . I would guess one tip would be FFS please don't drop anything down the hole once you have the plug removed :eek::eek: !!:p
I stripped the manifold off but the bung isn’t budging one bit so I’ll have to get help!!!!
some bloody oil gathers there though... HOLY FCUK

Mate, when mine went it was literally pishing out. massive clouds of smoke out the back , pools of oil on the ground . Until it happened to my M113 I had not heard about an oil leak from this area. But (although rare) it is obviously a 'thing' . Best of luck IRISH , let us know how you get on ...photos of your progress would be good for future reference . :thumb:

Ok,, so all parts are ordered, so I think it’s time to polish the rocker covers and inlet manifold........🙈🙈🙈

So I think I dodged a bullet.........🤷🏽🤷🏽🤷🏽🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Attachments

• C712373D-8297-4CC4-BEC5-550329B4367D.jpeg
    C712373D-8297-4CC4-BEC5-550329B4367D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom