CLK55 AMG or CLS55 AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captainkirk

Car
2019 GLC 63 s White with 21" wheels
Dear All,

I'm new to the forum and a new potential MB owner (as the title suggests).

I have always been a BMW man, and at 28 have already had 6, but I feel the direction BMW has taken with many of their newer cars has left me wanting. My last BM, a 530d, had two cracked 19" rear alloys in the space of 6 months, which I have now been led to understand is quite commonplace. Not fun to spend £500 per corner for doing nothing out of the ordinary!

Anyways, I am looking at either a CLK55 cabrio or a CLS 55 - very different cars, I know, but having looked through many posts regarding ownership experiences they both seem to have some very strong followers.

Any thoughts? Reliability, depreciation, general maintenance costs (not fuel - we all know what to expect, i.e. sub 20 mpg on a cycle), any particular issues to look out for, and major flaws?

I am looking at CLK's post '04, around 60k miles (max), on the trader @ around £16k.

CLS's - '05 on, around 45k miles, on the trader at around £20k (but really want a black one if I can get one).

Apologies for the long post but it's my first so wanted to give as much info as possible.

Be gentle, and thanks in advance!

CLS is supercharged, the CLK isn't that's the first big difference.

Don't discount the CLK500 or the CLS500 with AMG bodykit.

Huge bang for buck and you'll probably get something 2-3 years younger for the same money - more performance than you'll ever need.

CLS is a strict 4 seater 2+2

CLK you can squeeze 5 into.

Example - CLS500 27K miles - £20K - 2007 "57" in Black http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../postcode/rh14rg/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

CLS55 you won't get anything later than an 05 with higher mileage.

CLK500 with AMG bodykit - £14K - 2006 "06" in cubanite http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/radius/1501/postcode/rh14rg?logcode=p

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Both cars are 4 seaters.

I'm biased in that I think the CLS is probably the best looking car ever made in my opinion, so it's a given for me.

If you are a 'spirited' driver, you would be better off with the CLS for obvious reasons that the CLK cabriolet is more of a cruiser and slightly 'softer'.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage on either engine; the AMG engines are hard to thrash.

Iirc the CLS AMG will also be a fair bit more powerful.

Thanks for the replies.

From what I can see, as per sweetpea, both are strict 2+2's as neither have a central rear seat - but I'm fine with that.

Also, while the CLS500 is the 388 bhp model post 2006, from what I understand the CLK 500 is only 388 post 2006 too, and they are very rare, hence why the 55 is a more likely find.

drive both and make up your mind.

I had a CLK55 (208) and now a CLS55

CLS is quite a bit bigger than the CLK.

CLS is much more refined, and much more powerful.

Handling wise, CLK is slightly more agile, but the CLS is more composed and feels unburstable.

Interior quality on the CLS is leagues ahead of the CLK.

Plus, there's very little to beat to supercharged V8.

CLS consumes about 15% more fuel than the CLK, but it's worth it :)

drive both and make up your mind.

I had a CLK55 (208) and now a CLS55

CLS is quite a bit bigger than the CLK.

CLS is much more refined, and much more powerful.

Handling wise, CLK is slightly more agile, but the CLS is more composed and feels unburstable.

Interior quality on the CLS is leagues ahead of the CLK.

Plus, there's very little to beat to supercharged V8.

CLS consumes about 15% more fuel than the CLK, but it's worth it :)

Thanks for the info - definitely intend to drive both - just waiting for a free weekend.

Any issues on the CLS reliability-wise? My budget is not too restrained - I am happy to pay up to 22-23k, but from what I can the CLS55's on the market pretty much top out at that as the CLS 63 then comes into play.

I have great confidence in the AMG engine, based on the vast number comments on here, but what about other bits - general electrics, suspension, gadgets, etc?

Thanks for the info - definitely intend to drive both - just waiting for a free weekend.

Any issues on the CLS reliability-wise? My budget is not too restrained - I am happy to pay up to 22-23k, but from what I can the CLS55's on the market pretty much top out at that as the CLS 63 then comes into play.

I have great confidence in the AMG engine, based on the vast number comments on here, but what about other bits - general electrics, suspension, gadgets, etc?

I have had my CLS since Mar 10, during which I have driven about 11k miles. It is now done about 21k miles.

In that time, one of the front parktronic sensors went wrong.

The V8 tends to have a very slight oil leak from one of the small covers near the oil filter .. that was seen too by my mechanic.

I also thought my Airmatic was playing up (the car would sag more on 1 side after a while), but it turns out that the problem was the uneven parking space. On level ground, car when parked even after days is perfectly level.

That's it.

Service wise, it had a D service recently (oil and oil filter change, as determined by ESS), and I also had an interim oil and oil filter change before the D service.

I have had my CLS since Mar 10, during which I have driven about 11k miles. It is now done about 21k miles.

The V8 tends to have a very slight oil leak from one of the small covers near the oil filter .. that was seen too by my mechanic.

I also thought my Airmatic was playing up (the car would sag more on 1 side after a while), but it turns out that the problem was the uneven parking space. On level ground, car when parked even after days is perfectly level.

That's it.

Service wise, it had a D service recently (oil and oil filter change, as determined by ESS), and I also had an interim oil and oil filter change before the D service.

What was the damage on that, if you don't mind me asking?

What was the damage on that, if you don't mind me asking?

D service was £250.

Interim service done by mechanic mate at around £80.

I guess if you really want a cabrio then you're limited to the CLK, out of the 2 I would definatly go for the CLS, or have you considered the E55 or CL55 either?.

That's it.

fyi, the oil leak may be the breather cover on the rocker cover, fairly easy fix with some gasket maker, i had the same and fixed it within an hour.

you can save money on the D service by supplying your own oil, mine came to £120 with my own oil.

the CLS is a solid car, if you have the room and dont mind bigger cars, it wins hands down.

i would have considered one, but the 2+ 2 and the fact it wouldnt fit into my garage made me consider the e-class.

fyi, the oil leak may be the breather cover on the rocker cover, fairly easy fix with some gasket maker, i had the same and fixed it within an hour.

that's what it is, it is a small and very light piece of aluminium.

but not AMG

And therein lies the dilemna - one of the main reasons to go with the CLS AMG is that for similar money I could get an AMG, with all that extra grunt.

But I guess it will come down to the test drive as to whether I will really feel the difference in the real world - anyone have any experience on this they can share?

And therein lies the dilemna - one of the main reasons to go with the CLS AMG is that for similar money I could get an AMG, with all that extra grunt.

But I guess it will come down to the test drive as to whether I will really feel the difference in the real world - anyone have any experience on this they can share?

I drove the 388hp CLS500 before I bought the 55.

500 is quick yes, but it does not have the torque and the sheer OMG grunt of the 55.

500 is national standard athlete, 55 is in the Olympic finals :)

Plus the AMG suspension and brakes are much more performance orientated. And the AMG seats are much better too.

CLS AMG if you can afford to run it etc then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom