CLK55 AMG or CLS55 AMG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are, in my humble opinion, only two CLS; the 320 CDi and the AMG.

I mean this with the greatest of respect to some forum members, but the V8 500 is what you buy to waft along and if I was doing this I'd go for the diesel.

There are, in my humble opinion, only two CLS; the 320 CDi and the AMG.

I mean this with the greatest of respect to some forum members, but the V8 500 is what you buy to waft along and if I was doing this I'd go for the diesel.

It's interesting you say that, as my previous 530d was much the same - great wafting, crap for hoofing...

This one has been around for a long time now...

Really...I'm not sure I can stomach the 170 mile drive to find out its been on the market for ages for an obvious reason.

I guess the budget would have to push above 20k to get a decent one, but having looked extensively the 55's generally vary only by a maximum of 18m in age, and by about 3-4k in price based on mileage (and I guess condition).

I really like how the black ones look in pictures, but there are a lot of silver ones about - any opinions on silver over black? (or vice versa?)

P.S. thanks to you all for your comments - when potentially spending 20k it really does help to have such good info from real owners before spending time driving around looking at stuff that might be crap!

Dark colours suit the CLS better .

Was looking at a 320CDi today ( 56 plate ) black with biscuit interior , not for sale , just parked up at work. AMG'd up , it was very sexy.

I think next car i go for will be a CLS.

Silver paintwork on black leather is the default Mercedes choice and that's why there's so many.
If you are unsure about the specifications etc, get the vin from the seller and post it up on the forum and someone will post the data-card.

Have you test driven a 55 AMG yet?

Silver paintwork on black leather is the default Mercedes choice and that's why there's so many.
If you are unsure about the specifications etc, get the vin from the seller and post it up on the forum and someone will post the data-card.

Have you test driven a 55 AMG yet?

I haven't - hopefully going to go and test drive this one tomorrow as it's on my way home from work - we'll see what it's like too.

Not sure what SWMBO will say if I like it...

I haven't - hopefully going to go and test drive this one tomorrow as it's on my way home from work - we'll see what it's like too.

Not sure what SWMBO will say if I like it...

A word of warning: don't take your bank details because you will end up putting a deposit on the car.

Will your missus be using the car that you buy as well?

A word of warning: don't take your bank details because you will end up putting a deposit on the car.

Will your missus be using the car that you buy as well?

She will be, but only to get me home after a few brews ;) so I would think she would be ok with it after a few trips (she's not too great with big cars, but I love em!)

What about a CL55?? 4 seater cruiser although 2 door.....

Not really my cup of tea - I can see the appeal, but a bit too much of a barge for me.

Also the only real comparison is the CL55K, not the CL55, which is much rarer, and at the prices they are at it would also end up being much older ('02), falling into the dark times of MB poor reliability (correct me if I'm wrong?!)

Not really my cup of tea - I can see the appeal, but a bit too much of a barge for me.

Also the only real comparison is the CL55K, not the CL55, which is much rarer, and at the prices they are at it would also end up being much older ('02), falling into the dark times of MB poor reliability (correct me if I'm wrong?!)

The CLS is more like the CL than the CLK - if that makes sense!

It's far more a cruiser, autobahn stormer.

If you want something nimble and powerful then the CLK might be more up your street.

You clearly want an AMG, just remember these were £70K - £80K cars when new and they come with the associated running costs.

When I picked up my new C class in Croydon two weeks ago I was admiring the New CLS in the showroom, a 350cdi (£56K). The sales lady commented they'd not sold a single facelift CLS since they'd been out.

Those are some serious curveballs you've thrown!

I haven't really considered the E class, since I love the CLS and CLK shapes, but they look awesome!

I'm not sure I'd want one with as high a mileage as a couple there, but even the E550 is intriguing (I guess along the same lines as the CLS500 though?)

Are the post-facelift W211's built better in terms of the electrics. because my father-in-laws '03 was a real nightmare with lots of little faults that kept him on first name terms with the dealer.

Guys I'm still trying to keep an open mind and having seen this I'm really confused now.

Obviously I need to drive these cars and get a better idea of what they are like behind the wheel, but this CLK is so intriguing given its price, it's hard to justify spending so much more on a CLS55/E55/63.

Real world performance? Not sure 367 bhp will feel like a slouch compared to 467; obviously it would side by side but would I really feel diminished day to day? Not so sure...

Guys I'm still trying to keep an open mind and having seen this I'm really confused now.

Obviously I need to drive these cars and get a better idea of what they are like behind the wheel, but this CLK is so intriguing given its price, it's hard to justify spending so much more on a CLS55/E55/63.

Real world performance? Not sure 367 bhp will feel like a slouch compared to 467; obviously it would side by side but would I really feel diminished day to day? Not so sure...

How long do you expect to keep the car?

I only ask because you might want to 'build' your way up? As in, buy a CLK55 then get a CLS63 in a year or two?

That CLK that you've linked is from a forum member on here: Jaymanek.

How long do you expect to keep the car?

I only ask because you might want to 'build' your way up? As in, buy a CLK55 then get a CLS63 in a year or two?

That CLK that you've linked is from a forum member on here: Jaymanek.

True - might be an idea.

Yes I though I read somewhere he was a member. Might drop him a message :D

I Have to say out of all the cars I listed I like the E500 (which he's badged with US Badges - they refered to them as 550's over the pond).

It's younger, has lower mileage but a lovely spec including panoramic roof.

You could probably get that at £17.5K with some good haggling. Plus it has the 388hp motor. It's no slouch.

My mind would be like yours - I wouldn't want big mileage on one of these cars.

But I always like to buy as young a vehicle as possible, as nice as the CLK is, it's a 7 year old car.

Personally I think the E class looks nicer than the CLS.

All very personal though.

I don't dislike the AMG at all, I just think the 500 motors are fantastic value for money as they are simply overlooked so often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom