CLK55 AMG to an Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petermansell

Car
C 250 CDI Coupe
I promised to write up my experiences so here they are.

On paper the cars have similar performance (0.60 5.5 for the AMG and 5.8 for the Audi) yet nothing can beat the effortlessness of the CLK’s engine. I’m only just getting to know the Audi’s engine and the sounds of the car, but I am pretty sure it will never compete with the Merc for sound or effortless performance.

However the Audi does have some features in its favour: fuel consumption – I’ve had the car for two weeks and completed just over 700 miles and averaged 37.9 miles to the gallon whereas this would be about 22mpg in the merc.

The Audi’s suspension (SE trim and 50 profile types on 17 inch wheels) gives a much better ride that the Merc. (I am 54!)

The interior plastics are good: in the merc I used to use a piece of foam on the door rest for my elbow whereas the Audi’s is padded.
The car is very configurable – gearbox, sport diff and steering settings can all be adjusted and so for example, I have the gearbox in dynamic/sport mode and the steering in Comfort (ie lighter).

The hard disk based sat nav is very good and fast. The seats are good but not as comfy as the mercs. It’s silly little things that make the difference. For example, I ordered my car with a reversing camera and this has proved more useful than I envisaged – I can now see the white lines of parking bays behind the car!

So did I make the right choice? I do miss the 55’s engine and pulling power. I don’t miss its suspension. If MB made a C class coupe AMG that cost £47K I would have gone for that but they didn’t. So am I happy with my purchase? It’s too early to tell but I wanted something different and this fits that bill.

Oh – the car looks pretty too!

petermansell-albums-clk-graffiti-picture5770-audi-2-2.jpg

petermansell-albums-clk-graffiti-picture5769-audi-1-2.jpg

Hi congrats on your new car a c63 amg coupe is approx £55k less dealer contribution of approx £7k = £48k.

Interesting. I had a 3.00 tdi A4 for three years and it is a good engine. My A4 had 18inch wheels and a very hard ride ! But before the A4 I had a 320cdi C Class and back to back the Merc diesel was better ...seemed to rev easier .But put some miles on yours and then see what you think.

My brother tells me his friend's A6 3.0TDI OBC can show a constant 79mpg :eek: on a motorway cruise

Before we decided on the merc again, we went to check out all three 2L diesel (Audi, BMW and merc). I found that the suspensions on the A4 was a tad too hard, Beemer was great but ultimately I found the merc to be most comfortable.

Tricky one with Audis, if you want a softer ride, you go for smaller wheels and don't take the S-line option, but then you pay for that decision when it comes to resale values.

I love mine, although my old A6 was a more sedate ride, the natural point where my foot and the accelerator pedal reached equilibrium was at about 110mph, whereas the A5 can certainly go faster, but the comfort point seems to be at about 85, which is much better for the driving licence.

Since my Skyline, I simply dont like 2WD cars, so Quattro all the way for me I'm afraid. If Audis stopped making cars, I honestly don't know where I would go :dk:

Wasn't your clk the W208? If so I can understand your comments about the interior (Well the W209 wasn't a whole lot better either to be fair)

Mozzer said:
Since my Skyline, I simply dont like 2WD cars, so Quattro all the way for me I'm afraid. If Audis stopped making cars, I honestly don't know where I would go :dk:

I'm the same, having had a few 400hp+ cars with 4wd, it's a bit annoying going to a 2wd car where you can't pull out of T junction without the traction control kicking in!

However, I love my AMG!!!

Wasn't your clk the W208? If so I can understand your comments about the interior (Well the W209 wasn't a whole lot better either to be fair)

No - it was a 209 :) but the interior of the Audi is the best I've experienced. :thumb:

The interior in my polo is actually better than the C-class (W202) that I had. VAG cars seem to have nicer interiors, BMW second, Mercedes 3rd (imo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom