CLK55 gearbox clunky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steptoe11

Car
E500 W211Saloon 2002, C32 AMG Estate 2002, Range Rover Vogue V8 L322
Hi,

I bought a 2003 CLK 55 cabrio a few weeks before lockdown and have been having issues with the gearbox the odd day that i've got to use it. Its very clunky/jerky, almost like an elastic band and if pushed to hard wont change gear. Im aware this gearbox is pretty common and had similar probs at 150k in a 1998 C43 that i just sold on. I really like the car, so much that i bought a hardtop 55 last week and would like pointing in the direction of a reputable person/garage who can repair or replace the gearbox. Ive had lots of AMGs and V8 mercs but have never found a good mechanic who is familiar with them and end up just selling them on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Lee. Oh and im based in Leyland, Lancashire but not troubled to drive for getting the work done.

Does it do it hot or cold?
Both, i like to let them warm up before asking it anything but it wouldn't change gear last time after a 2 mile trip to the autofactors. It needed to be restarted to put it into reverse i was in the middle of the road at the time, which as you can imagine wasn't such fun!

SmartAMG would know someone up that way , as would the chap who has just done that stunning job on the blue SL55 , he’s up that way (how do you inform members in the post that they were mentioned ?)

Has it had a Service? Conductor plate along Fresh fluid and filter?

If so maybe the valve chest needs a clean out along with the appropriate solenoids replacing.

Has it had a Service? Conductor plate along Fresh fluid and filter?

If so maybe the valve chest needs a clean out along with the appropriate solenoids replacing.
Probably not, very little service history. Spent the last few years in Majorca as a holiday car for the last owner. He did have an F12 so im hoping he did service it when needed. Just looking for a good mechanic to take a look at it. I only paid 4k for it so im not bothered about spending a bit of money on it. Thanks, Lee.

If this a w209 with the 722.6 box id get the fluid and filter changed 1st and go from there, If the Gearbox is low on fluid they don't like to change gear.

The 722.6 is a very strong box and there pretty simple to work on if your methodical.

If this a w209 with the 722.6 box id get the fluid and filter changed 1st and go from there, If the Gearbox is low on fluid they don't like to change gear.

The 722.6 is a very strong box and there pretty simple to work on if your methodical.
Its is a w209 with the 722.6 gearbox. We have a fleet of vehicles and i do work on the commercial ones (sprinters) but i tend not to touch the others bar the E500 as id be at work forever. I will have a word with the current mechanic we are using as it sounds like a simple enough task if it just needs a gearbox service. Thanks, Lee.

No worries Lee, I'm a self taught mechanic, Auto box's especially Mercs like these used to scare me till i had no option to do it myself in the end it was fine buddy. Pretty good to work on tbh. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom