CLK55 Head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Topping

Car
CLK 55 AMG
Hi,

Please help

My 2001 CLK55 has cracked a head. Would anybody know where I can get a right hand head?

Thanks
Ian

Hi All,

Please let me know who breaks Merc's or might have a lead for me to follow to try and secure a head for my prize 55.

cheers
ian

how did head crack?
does it leak any fluid?

can you take it to a shop specialized in aluminium welding?

finding a used head will be like looking for a needle in a haystack

I have no idea how the crack happened, and it does leak a little oil. I didn't know you can repair a head.

Hi,
I have a C43 AMG V8 engine sat in my sideway, I seem to recall that the heads are the same as a 55, if someone could check on the EPC to confirm.

I have no idea how the crack happened, and it does leak a little oil. I didn't know you can repair a head.

it all depends on where the damage is located and how serious damage is?
sometimes it's possible to do a weld repair on some components, other times it's not possible to do a weld repair, then having to buy a new or used part to fix the problem.

is it possible for you to take a picture to show us where it leaks?
a spezialist like Olly shudd be able to tell you if damage is repairable or not?

never heard of cracked heads on M113 before.
I'm just assuming now?
did you by any chance have problems with cooling leaks causing engine to over-cook then causing head to warp or crack?

cast iron which was used on I6 AMG engines had sturdier/heavier material than aluminium used in 55 AMG cars.
I6 engines also had their share of problems with warped heads which had to be worked out

maybe you have to look for a complete donor engine if you can't repair or find a replacement head?
I wish you the best fixing your car. :thumb:

Last edited:
Have to agree, this sounds like a very very unusual issue on any M112/113 engine. I've never heard of this happening before.

Any background info - relevant previous work - coolant used (what type/who by), coolant leaks (water pump etc?)

What were the symptoms and how did you come across the cracked head?

If it were me I'd probably look for a decent S/H engine - how much labour in stripping and rebuilding the engine - plus parts (head gasket, stretch bolts, etc).

You could of course look at having the head repaired - unless you're incredibly lucky enough to come across a used one in good condition. But I'd still be dubious about this approach until you know why the original head cracked (?)

there was no obvious symptoms, until the car overheated, whereupon I immediately switched the car off and had it collected and delivered to a garage friend. He found a trace of oil in the water and so removed the heads to find that the gasket had leaked and the oil had mixed. He sent the 2 heads to be skimmed and pressure tested, 1 head is great the other is not holding pressure but there is no visible crack, so we are assuming there is a crack inside the head???

there was no obvious symptoms, until the car overheated, whereupon I immediately switched the car off and had it collected and delivered to a garage friend. He found a trace of oil in the water and so removed the heads to find that the gasket had leaked and the oil had mixed. He sent the 2 heads to be skimmed and pressure tested, 1 head is great the other is not holding pressure but there is no visible crack, so we are assuming there is a crack inside the head???

How much is a new one?

Sounds like a very odd problem and even stranger is they way you found out about it,
What mileage are you on?

did you leave your car idling in stationary for long time when it overheated or did it overheat while you where driving?

temp gauge tend to go up to 100C close to 120C when car is left in stationary for long time 15-20mins, electric fans do kick in to cool down

what did you do?

I haven't checked the price of a new head yet, as it will probably scare me. I have 170k miles on the car.
I was driving along when I noticed the temp go up past 80 and then it started to go higher so i pulled over and stopped.

I haven't checked the price of a new head yet, as it will probably scare me. I have 170k miles on the car.
I was driving along when I noticed the temp go up past 80 and then it started to go higher so i pulled over and stopped.

i may be completely wrong but i don't think thats a cracked head, what about the fans at the front, open the bonnet, take of the plastic cover (two clips at the top) covering the fans and try to spin both fans, at the age our cars are you might have a seized unit, i have changed 2 of these on 2 different 208s.

I have a pair of heads from a 2001 CLK55 if you still need one.

Thanks Nick
I have managed to track down a head, but if it doesn't suit I will give you a shout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom