Clk55 modded exhaust noise- like a jet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pittnathan

Car
CLK55 AMG
Hi. I've just had my standard w209 clk55 backbox changed for a custom one. It's the same style but it now makes a strange hissing, sort of jet sound under hard acceleration! Sounds quiet cool , but I'm worried that it's loosing me power.

Any guesses as to what it could be? Restriction somewhere?

Hi. I've just had my standard w209 clk55 backbox changed for a custom one. It's the same style but it now makes a strange hissing, sort of jet sound under hard acceleration! Sounds quiet cool , but I'm worried that it's loosing me power.

Any guesses as to what it could be? Restriction somewhere?

I would have thought the custom box would have been less restricted than the original. I can't see how the back box could be losing you power as its not really much more than a silencer
The above assumes that your back box was purchased from a decent supplier and not off Chinese fleabay

When I had my S210, I had a stainless rear box and pipe work fitted. Sounded nice until you put your foot down, when it sounded like a rocket taking off!

No it isn't a rubbish ebay one. It's made by a custom exhaust shop called infinity in Bristol. I'm not sure if the opening at the back of the muffler to the tips isn't big enough.

I have also previously removed the secondary cats too.

It doesn't really sound like a v8 above 4000 rpm. More like a jet taking off!

Pittnathan said:
No it isn't a rubbish ebay one. It's made by a custom exhaust shop called infinity in Bristol. I'm not sure if the opening at the back of the muffler to the tips isn't big enough.

I have also previously removed the secondary cats too.

It doesn't really sound like a v8 above 4000 rpm. More like a jet taking off!

Does the new custom back box have a x-pipe built inside it ? If it does then this will eliminate the burble and create a more "rasp" sound.

mercedescl500 said:
Does the new custom back box have a x-pipe built inside it ? If it does then this will eliminate the burble and create a more "rasp" sound.

Like this...

Attachments

• image-2488594761.jpg
    image-2488594761.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 42
I don't think so. A google check suggests something causing a restriction makes that noise on other car brands. But generally turbo charged cars. I'll try and post a video tomorrow.

check for a small leak

check for a small leak

That did cross my mind. By the way that is the best looking sls I've ever seen. Much more interesting than the usual colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom