CLK55 original wheel size and spec?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enthusiast

I've bought a modified CLK55. Car has been lowered and runs 18s with stiffer antiroll bars to the front. My wife and young baby are struggling with the ride on country roads. At slow speeds there is not much suspension. I'm mighty pleased with the car at higher speeds, it's more track focussed and I think it should be a road car, comfort and speed.

My local indie suggested reverting to oem shocks and springs but that's a £1500 day out. My second idea was to go to smaller wheels keeping the suspension set up. That should give bit more ride and allow a lower tyre pressure.
What was the typical CLK55 wheel - 17 inch? Is there a typical AMG forged wheel that I should look for?

My only problem with that is the rear calipers have been upgraded. What was the original rear caliper and disc size? I've trial fitted the space saver and it's tight but fits. Pretty sure I'll need to purchase smaller calipers and smaller discs. What was the original spec for rear discs and calipers?

I'm looking to see if this is feasible otherwise it'll have to stay and i'll get an earful over the bumps....

Many thanks

The originals were 18 inches. Going down to 17 may cause clearance issues given that the brakes have been modified. I don't think going down one size would make enough difference either.

What year is it? I have a 2000 CLK55 an it's has 245/40/17 on the rears and I think 225/40/17 on the fronts, don't quote me on the fronts, I only know the rears as I just bought some new tyres. As far as I'm aware I have heard the clks aren't the smoothest of rides. My old E36 Bmw was smoother !! But that V8 sound more than makes up for it.

W208 55 sat on 17's from the factory

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to sit this one out. I've worked out ride is far worse when there is a passenger in the back.
The cost of changing is almost worth just buying another car with the original ride.

it's a 2003 w209, an early one then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom