CLK55 vs VW Bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anarchy-inc

Car
C240
Gotta wonder what's in that bug to make this a serious race!

Bitburg0503vs1.jpg

Or in this bug;

bitburg1003vsBeetle.jpg

On the website where I found these pictures, the comment from the photographer was "These two were side by side for the full Quartermile". :crazy:

Last edited:
I was once on my way to see Jimmy (Nothamptonshire) and my route went close to Santa Pod. That day was the BugJam event and I can confirm there was many a "hot" Beetle on the roads!

pluggers said:
Dont they sometimes put in a porche 911 engine in the bug???
Many years ago I heard of a Beetle/911 turbo. Max was only 135mph due to bad aerodynamics.
A 928 engined Golf was another scary combination. It was faster than a 928 due to having less weight.

I used to have a beetle, and tuned it a little. ;-)

Not to hard to squeeze a 15 second quarter mile out of a beetle. Not too difficult to make them wheelstand either.

The porker engines were rather expensive in Australia, and were not that popular in general. Was cheaper and easier to get busy on the standard engine. 1.6 / 1/7 litre was the norm with ridiculous exhausts and twin expensive carbs.

Engine/gearbox mounts always breaking, clutches and clutch cables were disposable!

The attached pic was a friend's Kombi - he did install a tuned porsche motor, and many people with 5.7 litre V8s could never work out why this would overtake them with considerable ease. :devil:

Last edited:
scotth_uk said:
The attached pic was a friend's Kombi - he did install a tuned porsche motor, and many people with 5.7 litre V8s could never work out why this would overtake them with considerable ease. :devil:

I'd still rather have the CLK55 than an over blown VW Camper Van. (sorry that's what they were called in the US, never heard of a VW Kombi till I came here)

anarchy-inc said:
I'd still rather have the CLK55 than an over blown VW Camper Van.

Ahem. Yes. That is most certainly true.

Slight price difference though:

CLK55 - aud$ 194,900
Kombi with Porsche motor - aud$ 20,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom