CLK63 brake upgrade on C55, clearance issue Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grovsie31

Car
2009 335i DCT
Hi guys, well I finally went for it, and bought the CLK63 brakes for my C55, that ive read fit ok, albeit close. Ive seen these brakes, on other cars with the stock rims, and they fit ok.

Now mine do you fit ok. The wheel, rubs ever so slighty on the inside, where the calipers is embossed with 'AMG' and 'Brembo' at the top and bottom sections, but not all the way round. You can spin the wheel for about 3/4 of a turn and it spins freely. I find this odd.

Either the wheel isn't perfectly round, or I have a problem with the hub, is there anything I can do, to sort this, rather than bigger wheels or grinding a bit off my brand new 400quid calipers.
A friend of mine has mentioned spigot rings.

Maybe it fits with the car on the ground, it all does move a little when you drop it after being in the air.

It rubs on the inside of the wheel mate, not on the spokes, so spacers aren't going to help.

Both wheels do it, its odd.

It really does seem like the geometry is out on the front.......

I suppose the spacers could work Geed, as they would move the wheel out, and therefore the rubbing bit would be futher to the back of the wheel, it might clear as its tapered and gets wider at the back????

Hmmmmmmm

Is machining a few mm out of the wheels out of the question?

If it doesn't rub all the way round I'd say the wheel is bent. Have you tried another wheel, swapped sides?

It really does seem like the geometry is out on the front.......

I suppose the spacers could work Geed, as they would move the wheel out, and therefore the rubbing bit would be futher to the back of the wheel, it might clear as its tapered and gets wider at the back????

Hmmmmmmm

Is machining a few mm out of the wheels out of the question?

The spacers should work as the whole wheel is moved out by the size of the spacer.
I don't see how machining would work as you would have to remove alloy from the area the spokes are catching the caliper. Almost impossible to do

If it doesn't rub all the way round I'd say the wheel is bent. Have you tried another wheel, swapped sides?

I agree. I think the wheel is out of true.

Just thinking outside the box here but did you thoroughly clean the hub before mating the disc to it ? Maybe you have a small patch of corrosion on the hub. HTH

Just thinking outside the box here but did you thoroughly clean the hub before mating the disc to it ? Maybe you have a small patch of corrosion on the hub. HTH

I didn't at first, but now I have. Ive had both sides off, and got them as clean as I can.

Its not the spokes that are touching geed, its the back of the wheel, which is why I don't think it would make much difference with spacers, surely its just going to rub 5mm futher back? The wheel it tapered of course, but it doesn't get wider till more than 5mm past where its catching at the moment.

Here, this picture shows where it catches on the passenger side:
12920347_10153976661164178_6870367881424165735_n.jpg

Have you tried swapping wheels?

whitenemesis said:
Have you tried swapping wheels?

This ^^. If no problem then your wheel is slightly bent. Remedy by either having buckle taken out or grind the AMG logo down 1-2mm.

I did a big brake conversion on my car a couple of years back. 8 piston jobby. There's always some niggly problem that'll drive you insane. Don't give up.

It catches on both wheels. The drivers side is worse.

Ive sorted the passenger side, or at least when I spin the wheel when its raised, it spins 360 with no hitting.

I took a tiny bit off the logo's top and bottom, and cleaned the hub, and centre of wheel.

Im still sweating a little bit over this. For me its too close to be safe.

Ive got hold of some 5mm spacers off a friend to try.

Is there any ill effect to using spacers? Might have to go 10mm, but that should definatly be enough as the bit making contact would be above the bit on the rim where it drops wider.........

New wheels are an option, but one id rather try to avoid, lol.

I cant swap front to back, as there offset. I will try switching the front 2 around, see if it does anything.

Get some "engineering blue" dye and coat the inside of each front wheel. Then rotate the wheel (obviously whilst bolted back on to the hub). The rubbing should be consistent all the way around the inside rim. This rubbing will leave "engineering blue" dye on the caliper to indicate exactly where it's making contact. And then do in reverse order (clean wheel first). Apply dye to top of caliper and see if its touching only a single part of the wheel and not all the way around. It could be your wheels are ever so slightly bent. Not enough to feel it through the steering wheel. HTH

My old eyes cant tell from your piccie but is the caliper grinding away the metal of the wheel or just the coating. If the wheels have been powder coated you will be amazed how thick and uneven this coating can be . Son had exactly the same problem on his car and the problem was solved by removing the coating from the affected area. Turns out it was a poor job anyway.

Im still sweating a little bit over this. For me its too close to be safe.

Ive got hold of some 5mm spacers off a friend to try.

Is there any ill effect to using spacers? Might have to go 10mm, but that should definatly be enough as the bit making contact would be above the bit on the rim where it drops wider.........

New wheels are an option, but one id rather try to avoid, lol.

I cant swap front to back, as there offset. I will try switching the front 2 around, see if it does anything.

I've never been a fan of spacers TBH. Seen bearings fail due to additional stresses. Geometry should be checked also.

Always better to use the correct offset rims.

Get some "engineering blue" dye and coat the inside of each front wheel. Then rotate the wheel (obviously whilst bolted back on to the hub). The rubbing should be consistent all the way around the inside rim. This rubbing will leave "engineering blue" dye on the caliper to indicate exactly where it's making contact. And then do in reverse order (clean wheel first). Apply dye to top of caliper and see if its touching only a single part of the wheel and not all the way around. It could be your wheels are ever so slightly bent. Not enough to feel it through the steering wheel. HTH

The rubbing was not all the way round it was just where the picture showed. I have now filed the logo's off the calipers, and the passenger side doesn't rub when I spin the wheel. It is very close though. Id say its no bigger than 1.5mm at its closest point. I feel this is too close.

Ive just put 2x 5mm spacers on and put the wheel on, and I cant see it making much difference. The problem isn't the gap between the spokes and the side of the calipers, its the actual circumference of the wheel.

The wheels were done in the current colour by Joe off the forum, so maybe that's why they seem a little uneven, it could be just the material.

Its worrying me the more I think about it.

Vealige had SL55 19" AMG IV split rims on his C55, and they looked awesome, but there expensive, and would they fit with my car being lower and on coilovers????

If they would solve the problem id gladly spend the money, but iam not even 100% sure they would clear the calipers enough, but surely they should if there an inch bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom