clock lost 40 minutes -w211 MY2004

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
As the title states, clock in car lost 40 minutes yesterday. It starts fine so clearly enough juice in the battery. there is no Comand in the vehicle. Any thoughts at to what could have caused it?

“Can we get anymore speed out of her Scotty?”

“She canna take much more Captain!”

Lost more time today too apparantly but still starts fine. Curiouser and curiouser said Alice

Have you checked the battery connections?

Maybe it's a tad loose and is stopping the clock?

Do these fancy new fangled cars not have two batteries and perhaps the convenience battery is on its way out.

Don't ask me where it is, not a scoob.

nice thought John. Can anyone confirm that the clock is running off the convenience battery. What is the replacement cost too if anyone knows?

have you entered the birmingham triangle inadvertently?
i travel to the midlands once a month there is an area where time travel is possible
it allows for much reduced journey times

nice thought John. Can anyone confirm that the clock is running off the convenience battery.

On a MY2004 W211 the convenience battery and the starter battery are the same, the SBC/AUX battery in the front is not there to keep the clock running.

I can only think it must be the clock itself if the rest of the car is fine.

Ok, there is a message from the car. It states Battery protection: convenience functions temporarily unavailable. So looks like a battery is on its way out I guess. It's in at Jays tomorrow so I will ask him to check which one it is.

Ok, there is a message from the car. It states Battery protection: convenience functions temporarily unavailable. So looks like a battery is on its way out I guess. It's in at Jays tomorrow so I will ask him to check which one it is.

You get that message when the main battery (the biggie in the boot) is struggling. When mine started struggling the car still started fine though.

If it's cold overnight then the voltage may drop and odd things happen when the battery is on its way out. If your clock loses time overnight I'd suspect that the voltage dropped to the point where the dash cluster had started to get unhappy.

Did a new battery resolve your clock issues in the end?

Did a new battery resolve your clock issues in the end?
Yes; me taking the car for the occasional journey of more than 2 miles also helps keep it topped up :rolleyes:

You get that message when the main battery (the biggie in the boot) is struggling. When mine started struggling the car still started fine though.

Matt, which battery did you replace? Mine had a new battery before the previous owner sold it just over a year ago, and I assumed it was the main one. I often get the battery message on mine due to not using the car much, and Dryce's comment has made me wonder, as I was about to replace the convenience battery.

How about a C Tek trickle charger Mike see if that helps on the main battery. Bit of a faff connecting and re connecting but could save you a bob or two on a new battery every couple of years or so.

No room at the inn, John! I have a 129 and and my 124 cab hogging garage space, along with the CE my other half uses, so mine's the street urchin. It's having a run up to Liverpool tomorrow, Barnoldswick Friday (is that near you?) and back next week, so that should keep it happy for a while. I may get the batteries tested, but I don't think anything is even close to terminal yet (no pun intended!), given my usage.

Matt, which battery did you replace? Mine had a new battery before the previous owner sold it just over a year ago, and I assumed it was the main one. I often get the battery message on mine due to not using the car much, and Dryce's comment has made me wonder, as I was about to replace the convenience battery.

Mine has had the aux battery done in the last 4 months and I get the 'convenience' stupidity and now my analogue clock has stopped.

Could be the clock but my battery is from 2008 I think so I suspect it is that.

the convenience battery. That was the original as is the main battery. I am thinking to replace that too rather than wait for it to fail and cause me more problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom