Clocks changing to red at redline, c63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pilotprice

Car
2013 C63 AMG
Hi guys

Quick one, a few YouTube vids of c63 speedos I seem to recall the clocks flashing red indicating to change up, I can't red line mine yet (running in) is there a setting to activate this as my friend says his doesn't do it? Both are 2013 c63s.

In manual mode mine does it as well as cylinder suppression.

In other modes, C, S S+, the car changes up.

I think it's designed to be replicating (as closely as possible) a manual box, which also wouldn't change up at the redline until you do it.

If i remember correctly it needs to be in the AMG menu on the cluster for it to do it.

2013 C63 507 - In manual mode it flashes red text saying the next gear and the word UP to indicate you best change gear before you hit the limiter...

DuncS3 said:
2013 C63 507 - In manual mode it flashes red text saying the next gear and the word UP to indicate you best change gear before you hit the limiter...

My stock C63 did this as well from new with no setting changes when in manual

You cannot adjust or change this setting.

You will only see the red text when in manual mode.

When in manual mode, the car will not change up a gear unless you tell it to.

The red text indicates that you need to change up a gear because you have reached or passed the rev limiter point - 7200 rpm.

You won't see red text in comfort or sport mode because the car will change up when it reaches the rev limiter.

In manual mode, you will be able to go all the way up to 8000 rpm, which is both not advised and pointless.

Incidentally, the other time you will see red text is when you put the car into dyno mode, where it will warn you that all safety systems have been disengaged. When in dyno mode, it lists all the safety systems which have been disengaged in red.

Again, not advised unless on a dyno or wanting to be a hooligan :rock::D

Rashman said:
Incidentally, the other time you will see red text is when you put the car into dyno mode, where it will warn you that all safety systems have been disengaged. When in dyno mode, it lists all the safety systems which have been disengaged in red. Again, not advised unless on a dyno or wanting to be a hooligan :rock::D

Agree they didnt switch mine back at the eurocharge day and I nearly stacked it driving away from the dyno ;-o

Agree they didnt switch mine back at the eurocharge day and I nearly stacked it driving away from the dyno ;-o

Lol

Luckily with dyno mode, it doesn't require a sequence of buttons to turn it back to normal. Simply turn the car off and it will reset the next time you turn it back on.

In manual mode, you will be able to go all the way up to 8000 rpm, which is both not advised and pointless.

Never heard that before. I thought the limiter would prevent you from going over the set limit? Would be grateful if you could elaborate.

Never heard that before. I thought the limiter would prevent you from going over the set limit? Would be grateful if you could elaborate.

mmm, you may be right.

When I first got the car and was still getting used to it, I was in manual mode.
I think I was in 2nd gear.
I accelerated through the rev range and the display went red, telling me to change up.
I didn't hit the rev limiter and power was still being delivered.
I then changed up quickly, after seeing the red display.
So I assumed that it would let you go past the 7200rpm if in manual.

Either that, or I managed to upshift before the rev limiter kicked in - which would mean I did that in lightning quick speed. :dk:

Red light comes on before the limiter is hit... IIRC you've got about 200-500 rpm when the dash goes red until you hit the limiter.

Only done it a couple of times in my C63, but loads in the A45 when I test drove it as it has ridiculously low gearing.

At least it does hit a limiter and doesn't change for you which is really annoying.

Red light comes on before the limiter is hit... IIRC you've got about 200-500 rpm when the dash goes red until you hit the limiter.

Only done it a couple of times in my C63, but loads in the A45 when I test drove it as it has ridiculously low gearing.

At least it does hit a limiter and doesn't change for you which is really annoying.

Yeah, you're probably right regarding the limiter.
I don't venture that far up the rev range often and certainly don't like putting it in the red.

I usually upshift at around 6800-7000 rpm when I give it some beans.

Regarding not upshifting, it's supposed to hold the gear. That's the idea of manual. It's an override where it will hold a gear until you tell it to change.
Otherwise "M" would just be another automatic mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom