Clonking Noise X164 GL350CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inquisitor

Car
GL350cdi
Greetings All

Got a curious issue with my Beloved GL350cdi.

had new Pirelli boots all round a month ago, everything great then a week later I hear a speed related clonking sound (metallic), at first thought it was road stones in tyre treads. Never happens on first use, generally after 10-20 miles, but here’s the rub when it happens it’s not repeatable. Sometimes when pulling away from stationary the clonking happens, stop then start off again and nothing and other times its there. Never had the clonking before the tires were changed. I’ve taken the wheels off checked to see if anything obvious but couldn’t see anything, put wheels back on and did wheel bolts up with torque wrench. Weird thing is when the clonking happens if you lift the air suspension one level the noise goes, but it can come back a little while later. The only known issue is the discs all round are getting to minimum thickness although the pads are 20% worn, I’m going to replace these is the coming month. Any ideas welcomed. Thanks in advance. Cheers

Is it just the one clonk, or quite a few clonks, like a machine gun?

Difficult to be certain without a video or seeing it in person, but a stretched hyvo chain in the transfer box can give a machine gun type noise on pulling away with gusto. I’ve seen a few.

Difficult to be certain without a video or seeing it in person, but a stretched hyvo chain in the transfer box can give a machine gun type noise on pulling away with gusto. I’ve seen a few.
Thank you for your reply, I’ve had a look on YouTube and found this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
have to say my clonking is not exactly like this known stretched transfer box chain, my case is a slower speed of repetition clonking, not sure if this helps any

Thank you for your reply, I’ve had a look on YouTube and found this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
have to say my clonking is not exactly like this known stretched transfer box chain, my case is a slower speed of repetition clonking, not sure if this helps any
Also my GL is only coming up to 58K miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom