Clonking......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MangoMan

MB Enthusiast
Car
2001 W208 CLK320 Coupe Almandine-Black. (Looks Purple-ish).
Hi Guy's, I trust you all had a great Christmas, :bannana: for those who celebrate, and are looking forward to 'New Years' with expectant anticipation? :rock:

Right, just a quick one; just lately I've noticed, all I can decribe as a 'clonking' sound coming from my left rear wheel, or from that vicinity. It comes and goes, it did it about 2 weeks ago, then went away, and now has come back last night. It appears to occur when I steer slightly to the right, and at relatively at slow speed, but the 'clonking' follows the speed of the car, it speeds up when you speed up, then eventually goes away.

Any ideas at what I could look at please? Or has anybody experienced the same?

It's a 1990 w124 300ce with 229,000 miles on the clock.

One thing, it did have new discs put on about 6 months ago.

Thanks, Bill. :confused:

my guess is that it will be one of the drag links on the anti roll bar.

Have a look under the car, from the rear you'll see a narrow vertical bar dropping from the anti roll bar to the lower wishbone - give that a wiggle and see if it's got any play in the bushes at either end

I changed both of mine a couple of weeks back - cost about £9 from the dealers and take a few minutes to fit (once you've got the annoying plastic trim off the lower wishbone :)

HTH

Andy

andy_k said:
(once you've got the annoying plastic trim off the lower wishbone :)

HTH

Andy
Talking of which. At the back of the offending trim there is a micro switch. Whats it for? Sorry to hijack this thread.

Ian B Walker said:
Talking of which. At the back of the offending trim there is a micro switch. Whats it for? Sorry to hijack this thread.

dunno :confused: - I haven't got one on the 320 and I didn't have one on the 230 :)

The noise sounds like a CV joint is knocking.
Is is a regular knock, knock, knock, running exactly speed related?

If the joint is knocking don't condemn it, just pull back the gaiter and repack it with molybdenum grease.
This often fixes "worn out" CV joints as they're often not worn just dry.

Thanks....

........for all your input.

I must agree, it does sound simular to a 'CV' joint on a front-wheel drive car that is worn.

But now it has stopped, hasn't made a sound since I started this 'topic'. And I haven't done anything, but next time it decides to made a sound I will check those things mentioned.

Thanks again, and all have a 'Great New Year' Okay :rock:

Cheers for now, Bill.
;)

Just a quick 'update'

Still hasn't done it again, and I have driven it quite hard on occasion.

Cheers.

Possibly because its been raining - had similar issues on my Audi, they always went away after the rain.

Thanks for that........

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom