Cloons in a BMW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Driving along this morning I was quietly pleased with myself as it was only 5 degrees C outside and I was on regular Summer tyres and had managed to cover most of my journey without actually spinning off the road, so feeling smug I wafted along the motorway.

Not much further thinks I, when all of a sudden these clowns in a BMW pull onto the motorway and start flashing their lights and waving all over the carriageway right in front of me.

Feck me I thought, they know I'm on Summer tyres and going to spin off any moment...what a pair of heroes warning me of the impending disaster...so I slow down and cruise at nice steady speed until it's safe to pull off and check everything is OK...

Fortunately it was and I survived...

Proves that while BMW drivers may drive like koonts and weave all over all three lanes in a dangerous manner, they do have some compassion after all.

Fortunately my blow up doll passenger was able to take a picture of these cloons so I could pubicly thank them...

Cheers Fellas, You saved my life.. :thumb:

M6policecar.jpg

Those summer tyres are dangerous in cold weather, like you say the car will spin out very easily. Only the other day I parked my w124 in sainsburys car park, and when I came back it was pointing the other way!

I must invest in a set of winter tyres to stop this sort of thing from happening again.:D

That looks like J-B-R's BMW !

No caravan though .

Wonder how many caravanners fit winter tyres to their 'vans ?

Winter caravanning is quite popular .

I had something similar happen to me many years ago. We were heading along the A30 Staines bypass when a Transit van in front of us slowly started rotating, then a tyre must have found some grip as it shot onto the grass verge, across both lanes in front of us, over the central reservation (no crash barrier then) and across both lanes of oncoming traffic, coming to rest on the other grass verge somehow missing everything.

It was a classic example of black ice, so as my Cavalier was FWD I just took my feet off the pedals and didn't move the steering wheel more than about five degrees, no matter how light it went, the thinking being that as the wheels were sliding the car should just carry on in the same direction it was already going. If a wheel did get some grip it would be pointing the right way and hopefully we wouldn't spear off like the Transit. We came through it having moved about half a lane sideways, but it was one hell of a scary experience.

Last edited:
I had something similar happen to me many years ago. We were heading along the A30 Staines bypass when a Transit van in front of us slowly started rotating, then a tyre must have found some grip as it shot onto the grass verge, across both lanes in front of us, over the central reservation (no crash barrier then) and across both lanes of oncoming traffic, coming to rest on the other grass verge somehow missing everything.

It was a classic example of black ice, so as my Cavalier was FWD I just took my feet off the pedals and didn't move the steering wheel more than about five degrees, no matter how light it went, the thinking being that as the wheels were sliding the car should just carry on in the same direction it was already going. If a wheel did get some grip it would be pointing the right way and hopefully we wouldn't spear off like the Transit. We came through it having moved about half a lane sideways, but it was one hell of a scary experience.

I had a very similar experience in a loan car from a garage. I drove onto a local dual carriageway and into the outside lane and was immediately aware of two Police cars parked with flashing lights, my car went light and the rear went right, but I just caught it and managed to carry on.
Less fortunate were the car in front and the one behind who went off the road between the Police cars to joint he half dozen already down the embankment.

There were two patches of ice on North facing inclines in a 2 mile distance. Both claimed about a dozen vehicles.

haha, i did a double take after seeing you thread title. (imagine loseing the L)
I know things have changed and you have to watch what you say- even in good humour.

But it was almost covincing ;)

The M1 has a solid concrete central barrier now, this was the M6.

I was going to jump all over this thread after almost being deaded last night by four *w**s in daddy's bmw estate last night then I remembered that they doactually own the road therefore I was in the wrong for thinking I had right of way on the roundabout they ignored.
Interestingly, I saw their cousins in B*Q car park this afternoon who apparently belied that it's not necessary to access the boot of your car to load up your purchases and it's perfectly acceptable to pull across the back of your car, despite the fact that all the car park markings appear to indicate a service road.

It's such a stereotype, the whole B*W thing. But they don't exactly help their cause do they...?

Rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom