Close shave. Drive on ramp broke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The guy was killed, according to the description.
Yes, he was killed to death. Not quite sure what he was thinking of - hanging off the front wheel trying to counterbalance a >2 tonne car....
Even the guy on the left, who initially had the good sense to leg it away, then came back and ended up with his legs crushed under it.

I made my own from timber, worked out the height to make car level on my sloping driveway,also had my telehandler on them at 9900kg.

That is what I am planning todo make something out of timber. Especially the low hide right makes it unsuitable for a lot of ramps even with the additional metal low level entry trays (which also bent a little on Friday) especially if you do not remove the bumper.

I like the idea of the rubber ones also but am afraid 7” elevation is not quit enough to do any meaningful work with such a low car. Could be wrong though.

Back under it again today with axle stands this time and the Jack as extra safety. Other side had an alloy wheel as extra support.
Rock solid. :) But still a bit nervous.
But got the job done this pm

Back under it again today with axle stands this time and the Jack as extra safety. Other side had an alloy wheel as extra support.
Rock solid. :) But still a bit nervous.
But got the job done this pm

Axle stands: good. Jack: dubious. But job done.

I say this only for anyone who ever contemplates working on a car "just quickly" under a hydraulic jack (which you didn't).

Found this picture
I might use something like railway sleepers ( which after all would support 100s of tons of trains rolling over them ) and cut angles into them to make the slope I require , building a few up and bolting through . Not sure I'd use relatively small pieces of timber ...

I'm minded to purchase some substantial pieces of angle section steel , and some strong rectangular section pieces , and weld some ramps up myself . Although they've never failed , the ones I have are much like those at the start of this thread ( and my S Class is north of 2.5T ) .

Years ago I made a set from from planks of wood that are used on scaffolding. A lot easier to cut and saw than railway sleepers.
Indeed , but I think my chain saw would do the job 😊

I use these, kept them when i sold our motorhome. They are relatively light but can support up to 1500kgs per wheel.

ramps
MIL112615_1.jpg

Last edited:
How high were they ?
Description
This pair of levels are the tallest and widest ever made for a caravan or motorhome. Incorporating a lattice high-grip upper tread surface, the Quattro pockets the wheel at every height, eliminating the need for chocks. The shape also preserves the tyre and protects against flat spots, and the solid base is ideal for using on soft ground or sand. The lightweight levels also come with a storage bag.Dimensions

• Length 780mm
  • Width 240mm
  • Height 200mm
  • Maximum lift 160mm
  • Height of each step: 4cm / 8cm / 12cm / 16cm
  • Weight: 3.8kg per level
  • Capacity 1500kg per wheel = 6000kg Motorhome or 3000kg Caravan

Reactions: 219
The weld that's failed had zero penetration, it's quite clear to see that..

I've had a similar old set fail but by bending, when a mate put a large van on them.

Reactions: 219
Those stands kind of look familiar.

Apart from aging, there's the question of whether they were ever really strong enough to safely carry a 1.8 tonne luxury V8.

A modern Halfords car ramp is limited at just two tonnes - and that's a ramp sold in the age of the chubby SUV.

I suspect that ten years ago the standard might have been a bit lower.

As Old Dads say, "Avoid trusting your body to an axle stand or car ramp"
Good old dads advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom