Close Shave With "Blues and Twos"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
The other day I was coming up a dual-carriageway link to a Motorway, when a Golf GTI decided to race me. Needless to say he bit off more than he could chew, but the result was we approached the motorway roundabout side by side having steamed up from the previous roundabout.

When we got to the top, the Golf went round the roundabout and disappeared, I went down the slip-road towards the motorway. Unbeknown to me a policecar was sitting on the motorway slip-road and obviously had seen the dust up with the Golf. As I passed the policecar he gave me a quick blast from his "Blues and Twos" I assume to let me know that he had seen the race and to slow down.

I proceeded onto the motorway and quickly changing lanes was soon in the outside lane doing 80+. Watching in my mirror to see if the policecar was still interested. As he was just disappearing out of view he put his "Blue Lights" on and came down following me onto the motorway. I was by this time out of sight but knew he was coming.

I dropped my speed and slipped into the middle lane between two cars doing 70. Seconds later the policecar came past me doing about 100 with his Blue Lights flashing, but no siren. I never saw him again.

I will never know if it was coincidence or whether he was after me but it slowed me down for a while anyway. Having just changed my licence to a new picture one which is now "Clean" as all endorsements have been removed because of being over 4 years old, I am not in a hurry to spoil it.

aww if only i was that lucky but alas i was got on a nearly empty motorway to nowhere to hide really

samuelellis said:
aww if only i was that lucky but alas i was got on a nearly empty motorway to nowhere to hide really

Luck of the draw mate, but it does pay to keep your eyes open when you get the chance. :cool:

Full marks for observation Brian :)
Alas these "clean" driving licenses are becoming a rare thing indeed.
Still I bet it was fun giving that Golf a run HeHe.

mw_C32 said:
Full marks for observation Brian :)
Alas these "clean" driving licenses are becoming a rare thing indeed.
Still I bet it was fun giving that Golf a run HeHe.

Of course it was, he wasn't amused though. ;) ;)

The rush of the heart the flashing blue lights give. I'll never forget the acceleration of the last Volvo T5 that tugged me!

We must all take care, points are not worth it. Make note, don't do same thing in same place again! Nice story.

:eek: Brian I am shocked - never imagined you as a racer:D glad you escaped and had some fun - that's what driving's all about - and not getting caught:devil: :rock: :bannana:

i think i must have a sign on top of my car saying pull me

as you cna gaurantee even when my driving is normal police alwasy follow my car with there eyes

ah well im a young lad, steriotype follows

GrahamC230K said:
The rush of the heart the flashing blue lights give. I'll never forget the acceleration of the last Volvo T5 that tugged me!

reminds me of the time I decided to race a T5 many years ago ... he decided to come flying after me and to my horror he switched on his blues !!!

It was an unmarked green T5 saloon on the M63 near the Barton High level bridge. luckily I got away with 3 points as we didnt "race" long enough for me to get into lost licence territory.

steve_bcs said:
reminds me of the time I decided to race a T5 many years ago ... he decided to come flying after me and to my horror he switched on his blues !!!

It was an unmarked green T5 saloon on the M63 near the Barton High level bridge. luckily I got away with 3 points as we didnt "race" long enough for me to get into lost licence territory.

Oh Dear. Sneaky bugger. :devil:

I've had a clean licence since I was 27 (6 years ago). To date I have no idea how. I regularly cruise on motorways at betwen 80 - 90mph.

Never been so much as cautioned.

Lucky / observant, I've no idea.

Still, on a private runway last Sunday managed 160 in my wife's Boxster, and a friend in a RUF R Turbo managed 200mph.....incredible.

Gotta give it to them Germans!

33, passed at 17 and Still clean. No idea how for the first 15 years, as most cars I owned were group 20 or equivilent, but I think the B2 now helps me.

I think it is a combination of what you are driving and how, as well as how fast.

A lucky escape Brian!

I was on the M61, approaching a bridge over the motorway at about 85mph one night and there was a white landrover discovery on it. I lifted off as soon as I saw it but I was probably still going too fast as I went past, didn't want to brake as it would look a lot worse. About 2 minutes later I was cruising along at about 70mph and I saw blue flashing lights in my RVM, looking around I realised that there was only me on the motorway for miles...who else could it be after? I maintained my speed and it kept getting closer and closer, my heart was really pounding at this point! I was just passing a junction as the police car approached and it just shot up the sliproad and vanished, so I have no idea whether I was due to have my collar felt but the driver suddenly had somewhere better to go or if he was just going somewhere else anyway. Still scary!

Shude said:
A lucky escape Brian!

I was on the M61, approaching a bridge over the motorway at about 85mph one night and there was a white landrover discovery on it. I lifted off as soon as I saw it but I was probably still going too fast as I went past, didn't want to brake as it would look a lot worse. About 2 minutes later I was cruising along at about 70mph and I saw blue flashing lights in my RVM, looking around I realised that there was only me on the motorway for miles...who else could it be after? I maintained my speed and it kept getting closer and closer, my heart was really pounding at this point! I was just passing a junction as the police car approached and it just shot up the sliproad and vanished, so I have no idea whether I was due to have my collar felt but the driver suddenly had somewhere better to go or if he was just going somewhere else anyway. Still scary!

I think they call it "Guilty Conscience" Mate. :D :D

Anyway, join the "nearly got you brigade". :D :D

I was "nearly got" on the way to the Skid Pan GTG in February . . .

Cruising down the M4, at a not too excessive (but slightly beyond the 70mph + 10% + 3mph rule) rate of knots. . . and saw a dark coloured car parked up the bank, seemingly broken down.

On closer inspection, an officer of the law was hiding behind the car, peering over the bonnet, and aiming a "hair-dryer" like device.

The Road Angel did not go off, so can only assume that he was aiming, rather than firing at me !

Waited for several weeks in anticipation of a NIP, but nothing was forthcoming, so think I'm safe this time !

S.

This all brings back memorys of the incident with the CL and so called unmarked Subarau that flashed its blue lights from the grill/siren... after a bit of a race/cat and mouse... we had both done more than 100MPH...

Flash

Talking of near escapes, some years ago I was being pursued by an unmarked police car, I came round a roundabout at an excessive speed. When I looked in the RVM, I saw the police car colliding with the kerbing on the central reservation. I decided to stop. One of the policeman got out and said they would be throwing the book at me ( reckless driving etc etc) Pointing out that I had gone round the roundabout without causing any damage did not cut any ice. As I could not produce my licence and insurance, I was given 5 days to do so. As the policeman was returning to his car, I said I would go back to the station with them to ensure they reported the damage to public property ie the police car. Two alloy wheels on it were severely damaged. There was then a hurried conversation between the 2 policemen and the nasty one said to me- Forget about producing my documents but drive more carefully in future. That was the last I heard about it.

Coming down the M74 from Scotland doing 85ish on a sweeping down hill bend, sixth sense said there's a bridge around the next bit of the long sweep bet its got a camara on it. Sure enough I was looking at the extreme left of the bridge as it came into view and there is the camara. I understand you have to be held in the radar's view finder for 3 seconds to get a valid reading so I braked in behind a big sprinter van and then overtook it keeping the camara out of sight at all times........if I cant see it , it cant see me! ;) ;)

..and my story

July 2003 , I was travelling up to Scotland through Birmingham on the M6 doing a steady 80 ish in the middle lane, and suddenly from "nowhere" a set of huge headlights appeared in the rear view mirror. The were full on and the car approached to 2-3 car lengths behind me. No one else on the motorway at 2am! Being a bit worried, I pulled over to the inside lane still doing 80 . Next thing the "headlights" turn out to belong to a white range rover belonging to "you know who". The range rover accelerates away, BUT...
A large neon sign "appeared" in his rear window saying "speed limit 70mph - SLOW DOWN". I did. For a bit.
Rgds
Les

Shude said:
A lucky escape Brian!

I was on the M61, approaching a bridge over the motorway at about 85mph one night...

I was on the same motorway heading north to Morecambe last Saturday afternoon and, even though I wasn't in a hurry, I had put my foot down in the C32 estate and was doing well over 120mph :eek: :eek: when I saw the dreaded flashing blue lights in my RVM. Oh sh** I muttered and expected the worse but, like Brian, the police car just carried on past me and come off at the next junction (5)!!! My heart was pounding and I didn't go over 80 for the rest of the journey... :rolleyes:

Chatting to a client of mine today - he's just been fined £60 with 3 pts for doing 99mph on the new M6 toll road. He said the coppers who stopped him were really apologetic and told him they thought the speed limit was ridiculous for modern cars with better handling and brakes but they had a job to do! Their advice was stick to below 85 and you're OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom