Clothing labels. Enough already.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
People

What is going with labels in clothes?

Every item of clothing that I buy these days, with one exception, socks! comes with enough labelling sewn into it to make an entire wardrobe. I am talking about quality clothing here, although I am given to understand that this trend has extended into all makes and price ranges.

Why is this an issue? Well let me tell you why. The people who decide where the the labels should go must be same people that the CIA contact when they want to come up with a new torture. "Tell me everything you know or I will make you wear this shirt and you won't be laughing then". "we know you know where the explosives are. Tell us or we will put these pants on you", It is unbelievable that anybody would consider making labels from a material that has sharp edges and then, that they would spend hours researching the most itchy parts of the human body so that they can ensure the labels are sewn into the garment adjacent to these points. Then, if they can't get adjacent to the itching point? They simply make the label longer or wider so that it will eventually work it's way to the itching point.

I don’t need multiple labels, double stitched into the waistband of my underpants. History tells me that I should change my pants and have them washed at reasonable intervals (for me this is daily, for other that may vary). I definitely do not need a label that can machete it's way into the flesh between my bum cheeks. Shirts? What is this all about? Labels made out of something that feels like loft insulation are sewn into every vacant space using farmers bailer twine. Why do I need these on the inside of my collar or even worse just above my hip line. Yesterday whilst wearing a new shirt I found that a label had been sewn into the front of the tail allowing it to graze up and down my goodie bag whist it mated with the label on the waistband of my underpants.

Should you try and remove these labels you find that they have often used invisible thread that is carefully woven onto the threads that hold the entire garment together. Unpick one stitch and your new garment lies ruined in tatters on the floor. Leave then in situ and you destined to spend your waking hours looking like you have crabs.

Enough is enough.

Last edited:
Bruce I couldn't agree more. You should try buying clothes in the USA it's even worse. I've got Jeans and shirts with the equivalent of bloody War & Peace flapping around inside them!

Bruce - that made me laugh! I have a pair of thermal gloves which have so many labels inside it is almost impossible to put your hands in. Cut the buggers out and carry on rewardless.........

I bought an expensive pair of jeans recently. While I got what I paid for quality wise, they did come with a booklet sewn into them!

I usually rip them out of the back of cheap t-shirts, it usually doesn't damage it, but this instruction manual seems to be meant to stay put!

Myself and a few friends own a clothing brand and this is something we tackled at the beginning

Labels around the kidney area are a no go, I personally find it highly annoying! People know how to wash clothes and 'info' labels aren't as much of a priority with us, although they are there, just at the rear of the collar using a soft material.

Layered labels also annoy people as they create a false 'poke' on the skin, we keep these minimal, maybe one stitched in with a light thread onto the inside/outside of the arm (non-info) label

One thing we found beneficial was to have the info label included onto the clothing tag, which is attached via a heavy thread and clipped to the top of the tshirt, which everyone removes or keeps (normally where the price is, in a shop)

Still in our infancy with the clothing world but it's quite a hard thing to get right, doing well though- as long as we don't have annoying labels! :eek: :thumb:

Ash

What a brilliant reply. Thank you. It's great to hear that you take this seriously. 100% agree with you about the kidney area. It drives me potty.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

and the spare buttons sewn onto the inside one of the front tails of shirts - usually anatomically aligned to cause maximum discomfort when you sit down

Alternatively go naked and get shot at...........

I bought an expensive set of labels that came with a free golf shirt attached.

I also bought a stitch un-picker (available from all good sewing shops) So I attempt to free the labels from the shirt.....WRONG. I now have a fishing net that would see me banned from most respectable golf clubs but would not look out of place in a gay disco (no offence to gay people or disco's).

Hopeless.

What about the people who deliberately leave the Manufacturers label on the outer sleeve of a suit jacket. What is all that about?

What about the people who deliberately leave the Manufacturers label on the outer sleeve of a suit jacket. What is all that about?

Like the people who leave the blue plastic on chrome trim...they don't know any better.

brucemillar said:

Have never seen/heard about that, but is very similar to baseball caps- leaving the gold sticker on the peak/bill. Something I personally do, I don't know why. Probably because in the shop the light saturates the material leaving a circle beneath the sticker if removed :doh:

Have never seen/heard about that, but is very similar to baseball caps- leaving the gold sticker on the peak/bill. Something I personally do, I don't know why. Probably because in the shop the light saturates the material leaving a circle beneath the sticker if removed :doh:

I sincerely hope that when driving you wear your baseball cap the wrong way round or rotate your head under your cap so that the skip faces rearwards.

brucemillar said:
I sincerely hope that when driving you wear your baseball cap the wrong way round or rotate your head under your cap so that the skip faces rearwards.

Depends on which hat, and which t-shirt I am wearing! Some hats look better backwards. Trainer choice is another variable :)

Or pants that stick a mile out over the top of your trousers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom