CLS 2011 NTG4.5 and software updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crooky2

Car
2011 cls350d
Hi, just bought myself a 2011 CLS 350 CDI. I was wondering if there is any way to do software updates or navigation updates yourself?.

Can you not just download the files online onto an SD card?.

I have a 2012 Audi A6 and I downloaded the latest software update and maps on the audi forums and just put them onto SD card and installed them. Same with most cars usually you can just download the software and do it yourself.

Anybody know if I can download them and where to get them?. I have seen plenty forums with them but you need to be a member. Does nobody on here have them?.

The latest version for NTG4.5 is V20.

You can update the map yourself. The audio system needs the official diagnostic tool to update it (and not a clone version, as it has to go online and get info and update the central Mercedes database when it is done)

R

You can update the map yourself. The audio system needs the official diagnostic tool to update it (and not a clone version, as it has to go online and get info and update the central Mercedes database when it is done)

R
Hi, I have the latest maps already on an SD card. Also people are selling the SD cards on ebay for updating the navigation. So why does it need to go online?. Is that to get the PIN specific for your car?.

With the Audi I was on the audi forums and downloaded the map, software update and verification code put them onto 3 SD cards and updated the system no problem. It was a hard drive based system also. Plus Audi is actually more expensive to have that work done at a dealership.

Do I not just need a PIN for the maps I have downloaded?. Does anyone do this?. Most people want the VIN of the car but are also charging for it. Ebay is like £89 for an SD card and PIN. I thought the forums would have this kind of stuff for free. As almost every other manufacturer you can download maps for free stick them on an SD card and do it yourself. Why are Mercedes any different?.

Because mercs are better then Audi 😄 you will have to pay for map updates unfortunately.

As almost every other manufacturer you can download maps for free stick them on an SD card and do it yourself. Why are Mercedes any different?.
"As almost every other"

So not all then?

As explained, MB update their central database and therefore it needs connecting to the Mother ship 👍

What extra functionality will the updates give you? The MB system is quite old fashioned and clunky even when new

Also if this forum was offering free map updates, we would have people joining just to get freebies🤔

"As almost every other"

So not all then?

As explained, MB update their central database and therefore it needs connecting to the Mother ship 👍

What extra functionality will the updates give you? The MB system is quite old fashioned and clunky even when new
It was mainly just the map updates I was looking for. So that when I am driving over the Queensferry crossing it doesn't think I am driving through the Forth.

It was mainly just the map updates I was looking for. So that when I am driving over the Queensferry crossing it doesn't think I am driving through the Forth.
Also how do the SD cards from ebay work?. As these won't have any way of connecting to Mercedes?. The guys selling them say to send them your VIN and then they send you the SD card with the latest maps. So surely as I already have the latest maps downloaded from Mercedes me I just need the PIN?.

Also how do the SD cards from ebay work?. As these won't have any way of connecting to Mercedes?. The guys selling them say to send them your VIN and then they send you the SD card with the latest maps. So surely as I already have the latest maps downloaded from Mercedes me I just need the PIN?.
See reply No 3!

To clarify, map updates don't need to be done online and are done from a USB stick with a licence key. The licence key is generated from a system called VeDOK (which holds all the info for your vehicle). Newer "basic nav" systems use a SD card with the map on that gets tied to the VIN when plugged in, much older cars have maps on DVDs or CDs.

System firmware updates need to be done with Online Xentry Diagnosis and the appropriate update disks (only released to those with Xentry systems a few years ago) - or for newer vehicles (W222/W205/W213/W238 onward) a big enough internet connection for Xentry to download the firmware, and the firmware for Audio components is quite large)

Richard

Hi, I have the latest maps already on an SD card. Also people are selling the SD cards on ebay for updating the navigation. So why does it need to go online?. Is that to get the PIN specific for your car?.

With the Audi I was on the audi forums and downloaded the map, software update and verification code put them onto 3 SD cards and updated the system no problem. It was a hard drive based system also. Plus Audi is actually more expensive to have that work done at a dealership.

Do I not just need a PIN for the maps I have downloaded?. Does anyone do this?. Most people want the VIN of the car but are also charging for it. Ebay is like £89 for an SD card and PIN. I thought the forums would have this kind of stuff for free. As almost every other manufacturer you can download maps for free stick them on an SD card and do it yourself. Why are Mercedes any different?.
Sorry, wasn't clear enough - see my response above.

2011 CLS 350 CDI will be either NTG4 or NTG4.5. NTG4 updates from DVDs. NTG4.5 updates from USB (normally, although SD does work), but needs a licence key which is issued for the map version and your car's VIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom