CLS 219 - Creaking airmatic level sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

Car
CLS 500
Hi, have a 2008 CLS 500, I had a creak from the front left suspension and started doing the ball joint, got it apart and it was fine, then realised that the noise was coming from the Airmatic level sensor when I detached the dog bone that connects it to the top wishbone.

I doused it in WD40 and away the creak went, for about 2 months but it was back today.

So few questions,

Can it be fixed or do I need a new one ?

How much are they,

How do I get the part number

How do I remove the connector, it didnt want to come off when I tried last time.

Take it apart again and coat lightly in Silicone grease - available from a plumbers merchant and retry.. Silicone grease doesn't wash off.. you do probably need a new one.. but see how you get on with this..

Cheers, will give that a try tomorrow.

Will try and get the part number, am guessing its only a variable resistor in a box ?

Take it apart again and coat lightly in Silicone grease - available from a plumbers merchant and retry.. Silicone grease doesn't wash off.. you do probably need a new one.. but see how you get on with this..

Especially after putting WD40 on it!

It's better at dissolving things than lubricating them.

Hmm, not sure it is the sensor, I think last time I might have been mistaken, greasing it made no difference but I just lashed some WD over the top mount bushes and have been out in it and its pretty much silent now.

So, do I need to replace the top arm ? seems to be no play, it just seems to be rubber creaking against metal.

Don't suppose you have a video/sound clip of the creaking?

Not currently Killahertz but it is a good idea and I will get one when it starts again, I got two month or so creak free last time, I had it apart thinking it was the ball joint but the ball joint was fine, no play but all the racket was coming from the top arm area.

Quite happy to change stuff, just dont want to throw time, money and loads of parts chasing it rather than diagnosing it properly.

I love the car but it spoils it when it sounds like this, sort of grates on my nerves.

Last edited:
I have a creak on my front passenger side also, garage can't find the cause... Just wondering if it sounded the same.

Sounds very similar, I started it put it on the raised height, left it running and got in with the GT 85 (thought it was WD40 but not sure it makes any difference) doused the rubber bushing on the top mount and went round the block, no creaking to speak of so, pound to a penny it is the rubber bush moving against metal in my case, it isnt a clonk or any feeling of looseness just this creak, will probably go away for a while now like it did but may just order a top arm, they arent difficult to do.

Otherwise it is ball joints usually, i had it apart ready to do it but no play, it seemed fine and got distracted by the creak from the top arm.

Trouble is, I dont have a garage itwill fit in and it was 2 C on the temp sensor, so sod spending any serious time in that with bare hands on cold metal !

The WD40 onto the top mount has sorted it, for now, quiet as a mouse.

Seems to be no play in it so dotn know whether to replace it or just blast it every time it creaks !

Maybe some Cod Liver Oil in the Petrol, helps with my creaks ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom