CLS 219 Wet Passenger side front footwell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi,
I have not been using my CLS55 much since buying a 207 E350 CDI Cabriolet, less than 500 miles since June.
In this time it has been sat on my driveway.
I noticed that the inside of the windscreen and front windows had started steaming up inside, this led me to find that the front footwell was wet.
Thinking it would be the front scuttle drains blocked, I checked the centre drain hose to the passenger side inner wing hadn't become detached/blocked/kinked, all ok and the area around the auxiliary battery appeared dry as well, I have also checked the drains in the scuttle at the extreme edges of the screen that ducts the water away from the screen to the front wing mounting rail.
Not really finding anything to cause the leak has anyone got any ideas what more to check?
Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

Maybe just condensation, as indicated by the windscreen. Dry out the footwell. Leave all vents wide open so air can circulate around the cabin.

Well currently I have removed the floor mat, and I have placed some old newspapers in the footwell and have both the front windows cracked open.
But personally think there's to much water to be condensation.

I had a poor weld on One of my 211’s maybe same floorpan? . It leaked at a upper weld nsf inner wing to bulk head, bottom of the screen, I got a watering can poured water down the nsf A piller , after I’d took all the carpet n trim up you could the water pour in downwards from the A piller on the inside where the bottom of the glovebox was. I was surprised how much water came in tbh. Cure was scuttle trim taken up and a small glob of tiger seal applied.

Sunroof drains blocked? Quite a common problem on other marques.
Regular occurrence on a LR Discovery for example. I don’t know if Merc use a similar system, it’s just a wild guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not usually a issue but it has been known for the pipe that attaches at the top of the a pillar to the drain from the roof to come adrift. Worth checking drop the front of the headliner and have a look ;)

Not usually a issue but it has been known for the pipe that attaches at the top of the a pillar to the drain from the roof to come adrift. Worth checking drop the front of the headliner and have a look ;)

Hi,
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Sunroof drains, good call and I will check them but having just fixed my friends sunroof drains on his 163 I don't think its that as I would think it would be leaking a lot more than it is, but worth checking.
I think I am going to have to give it the hose test with the lower dash trim removed.
Something I did notice today was that the Pollen filter housing didn't seem to be properly seated but I very much doubt that is anything to do with the leak but it is now fitted correctly and sealed to the heater intake correctly.

Could also be the vapour barrier behind the door panel has become detached.

The adhesive that attaches it to the door can become brittle over time and allow water ingress, I had this issue on a BMW.

You can buy the adhesive on a roll. ( can't remember the proper name for it though).

There's usually a wiring loom grommet in the bulkhead to inner wing joint, this bellow the scuttle drainage so possibly a source of water ingress if it's dried and shrunk?

There's usually a wiring loom grommet in the bulkhead to inner wing joint, this bellow the scuttle drainage so possibly a source of water ingress if it's dried and shrunk?

Hi Peter
I have checked that as I removed/replaced wiring grommet when routing the distronic loom through the car, and it appears to be ok and around that area appears to be completely dry.

Check your cabin pollen filter, is it blocked or poor fit, this can lead to leak on that side.

some aftermarket filters are poor fit and don’t seal well

You can add some red food colouring to a water can a drizzle over the exterior then when you examine it may give you an idea of where it’s coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom