CLS 220, underpowered? or ok?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xant14

Car
ROVER 75, 2015 CLS350 Shooting Pigeons
Hi, me again.

I am about to test drive a CLS 220. I have seen the stats, 170 ish BHP.
Does anyone own this car and can tell me what it is like in the real world. MPG figures would be great too.

Hi, me again.

I am about to test drive a CLS 220. I have seen the stats, 170 ish BHP.
Does anyone own this car and can tell me what it is like in the real world. MPG figures would be great too.

Hi,only you will know if the 4 cylinder 220 is the right engine for you after test driving-in my opinion the cls is best suited to v6diesel or v8 petrol engines,it's a big heavy luxury car,I had a v8 for 3 years and it was a dream,still miss it 6years on,good luck!

What does premium pack add to a 2015 cls?
I am looking but can hardly see any extras to a standard CLS.

Which car are your coming from? That might help people answer whether the CLS220 is likely to be underpowered compared to what you're used to.

I think 220 would be more than adequate, however I think the larger capacity engines suit the character of a large Mercedes better. Perhaps a slightly older CLS350 could be had for similar money?

Good luck with your search.

170 in a 2 tonne car is adequate. I know, which is why I'm remapping soon.

170 in a 2 tonne car is adequate. I know, which is why I'm remapping soon.

Where are you getting the mapping done?
How much?
Many more ponies and torques?

Will be very interested in your thoughts after it has been mapped.

The 220d in the CLS SB is absolutely fine - I've had four and I'm getting rid of this [not very good] S213 E class for another very soon. I consistently averaged 42mpg and tend not to hang about. The 350d would be my preferred option all things being equal but circumstances dictate the 2 litre works best for me. Reversing camera, sunroof and memory seats are the premium pack options.

The CLS Shooting Brake has never been sold in the USA for some reason. :confused:
The E220 engine is still I believe the old OM651 2143cc twin turbo engine which is a bit long in the tooth now * but since its 250 fellow engine is rated at 204 hp and 500Nm/1,600-2800 rpm that should be readily achievable. It might need slightly bigger injectors and a different intercooler mind??

* taken from the current MB UK site but I may be out of date?

Last edited:
I'll probably get my remap from MSL, purely because it's nearest. BigFish in Middlesborough is supposed to be good too.

I'd expect to pay 250 for a straight generic map or 350/400 for a map with a dyno run before and after.

Should take it from 170bhp/400Nm to 195/460 or near enough.

It's not the power that it's lacking but the smoothness that you would expect in a £50k+ car.

Totally agree had both the 218 and 219 CLS with the V6 and it suits the car down to a tee, smooth, quiet and effortless. The V6 engine is the most popular engine in the S class which says something too.

Only diesel engine I'd ever go back to....

RR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom