CLS 250 AMG winter wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccezar1984

Hi,
I got a CLS 250 W218 AMG with 19"(255/35/19&285/30/19)alloy wheels and would like to fit some winter tyres for a trip to Europe.Been asking MB dealership but they weren't able to advice in either to get smaller 18" wheels or to use what i got.
Lately i found some 18" mercedes wheels with winter tyres online with the specs :
255 40 R18 99v
8.5 J x 18 H2 ET35.5
Can someone let me know if they will fit my CLS as the only difference is the ET is 34.5 in the car's manual ???
Or any other advice pls

I would have thought the manual tells you to go down a size for snow tyres (mine does).

I wouldn't have thought that 1mm makes much difference to the offset of the wheels; there should already be more clearance than that, and the rim is already 1" smaller.

The manual probably also tells you to limit your top speed to <130mph, so no flogging the autobahns with snow tyres on.

All the information you need will be in the owners handbook, otherwise put your reg number into the MyTyres website and select winter wheels and tyres. It'll list the recommended size and give prices for complete set.

They should fit. Rears may look a bit weird as you original set up is staggered. Also wheel design varies from model to model, you need to make sure that wheels will clear calipers - specially the fronts.

Be careful with secondhand winter tyres; unlike summer tyres, winters are typically shot at 4mm remaining - which is why you see so many on the auctions sites with exactly that amount of tread!

I've just had some genuine MB winter wheels for my car, the ET was 4 mm different and they fitted ok. My wheels were 4 mm less than the original wheels ,which meant they went inboard 4 mm. One mm won't make any difference,just make sure the wheels will fit over the brakes.

The idea is probably to have more clearance around winter tyres so that you don't get that build-up of mushy snow in the arches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom