CLS 250cdi OM651

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Hi guys I've noticed that it takes quite a long time for my car to get to running temperature in the mornings on my 14 mile commute it sometimes has managed to get to 90degs, please note that I would have the heat setting at max temp and heated seat on. Was thinking maybe thermostat is being lazy? If so how hard is it to change and are these engines easy to bleed the air from after changing thermostat? On way home it gets up to temp quicker however cabin heating temps are lower and heated seat off and mostly ambient temperature warmer Also (N.ireland)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not the fastest of cars to get up to temp , large 10L coolant capacity .
Ok thanks was just wondering the heaters are great and almost instant in the morning's the car is new to me so not familiar with it albeit the ambient temperatures have been quite lower this week I'll monitor I assume it should sit at 90 once up to temp and not move

guys i have a ml320 cdi w164 when driving at cold no problems but after it warms up it starts jerks slipping transmission what mighty be the problem

@jardzvitex When was the transmission oil last changed? Are there any codes?

sounds pretty normal. I do a 12 mile commute, and on some occasions it doesnt get up to 90C, somedays it does. If its going to get to 90 its usualy in the last 1 mile of driving. Hvaing the heater on makes ahuge difference, it draws hot air away from the engine. My previous audi 1.9tdi was the same at this time of year, come the warmer months you will find it gets hotter quicker and earlier as to be expected.

I sometimes leave the heater off for 1/2 the journey.

I do worry sometimes that it doesnt get hot enough to do a DPF regen... but I dont know much about how the dpf regen system works to now if its an issue or not..

I have the same engine and pretty much commute the same distance as you, about 13 miles.
On a cold day, it only just reaches what I would call normal temperature, by the time I'm at work.
As a previous poster said these engines have a large coolant supply, about 10 litres, so don't worry

Thanks guys much appreciated [emoji106]

My VAG 1.9 TDI is like a rocket getting to 90°, recent Wahler thermostat and a 6L coolant capacity .

New Generation of 4-Cylinder Inline Engines, OM 651
page 37-38
If the CLS is anything like the W204 it will have an electrically heated radiator element in the main air exchanger to give "instant" heat before any contribution from the engine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom