CLS 320 CDI on Biodiesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BassAddict

Car
CLS
Hi all, new to this forum! I'm interested in buying my mothers CLS 320 CDI off her but I need some advice...

I make my own biodiesel, well made stuff and not produced half heartedly that's for sure. However I run it in a Golf IV (2002) at the moment and these are fine on it.

My concerns with the CLS are obviously the fact it is an expensive motor and I don't want a hefty bill. It's a 2005 with 44k on the clock and I'd get mates rates if I buy it. A lovely motor it is too. So I'm quite keen!

However I can't bear the thought of paying £1.20 a litre for fuel when I make it for about 13p a litre now.

Main concern - DPF and injectors. I think it has a DPF but not sure if this will be a problem. Anyone know if it's active or passive and how a regen works on it?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I am no expert, but I think modern common rail diesel engines do not like more than 30% Bio-Diesel mix.

I am no expert, but I think modern common rail diesel engines do not like more than 30% Bio-Diesel mix.

Actually I thought the more modern ones were now supposed to be able to run on 100% bio??

More important, where do you get the wvo - I was thinking of doing this myself, but can't find a decent source.

Also, did you make your own plant or buy one??

Ta

Thanks for the reply tec.

I am also a moderator on the vegetableoildiesel forum (http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/) and know many people who run CDI's on bio. I'm no engine expert though and no idea if a CDI on the CLS 320 is any different to a CDI on another manufacturers car.

I'm slightly concerned about the DPF and what sort of DPF it is though. If my balls were big enough I'd just do it. Oh and if my wallet was big enough just in case.

I get the WVO from Greek restaurants, Indians, Pizza places. It all makes fantastic bio. I've done 50,000 miles in my Golf on it. Saved a fortune - enough to buy this CLS!

Built my own plant from scratch and did a lot of research on how to make it properly. I've tested bio from place local to me (Dudley area, UK) and it was still 30% unconverted from WVO! Shocking.

Aha, another VOD bod, so welcome! (Methyl esters don't go down well here...)

Get a deal on your mum's car, like save her the next 50 years worth of unwanted presents?

I would take that deal :)

Yea I was kind of expecting a backlash against using biodiesel but as above, I'm more interested in the type of DPF / injectors this beast has.

Are you on VOD a111r?

I'm back! Just in case anyone has any new information on the type of DPF or injectors this car has? I'm still toying with the idea... Car now has 47k on the clock which is nothing and I could have it for 5k.

Problem is I haven't paid for diesel in like 6 years so I'm not going back to it! I would have the DPF removed to eliminate that as an issue.

Does your 320 have a DPF , some dont ?

Sooty tailpipes are a givaway of a non DPF equipped car.

Kenny

My E320cdi has two very sooty exhaust tips, keeping them bright is hard work

I would take that deal :)

Yea I was kind of expecting a backlash against using biodiesel but as above, I'm more interested in the type of DPF / injectors this beast has.

Are you on VOD a111r?

Yes. I replied to your post about this on Wednesday...:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom