CLS 320cdi V 500?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Had this thought for a while now. To be honest, I've been convinced that my next MB will be a CLS 320cdi. Never doubted it and have just been waiting for the start of my new financial year to take the plunge.

But, I drove a CLS500 over the weekend and that was amazing!! A very, very nice engine.

But, I'm a mean b****d and resent the high road tax and additional fuel costs.

However, would it actually cost me that much more to run over the 4/ 5000 a year I'd cover with this car? Anyone done the calculation?

Had this thought for a while now. To be honest, I've been convinced that my next MB will be a CLS 320cdi. Never doubted it and have just been waiting for the start of my new financial year to take the plunge.

But, I drove a CLS500 over the weekend and that was amazing!! A very, very nice engine.

But, I'm a mean b****d and resent the high road tax and additional fuel costs.

However, would it actually cost me that much more to run over the 4/ 5000 a year I'd cover with this car? Anyone done the calculation?

Knock up a basic spreadsheet and it'll do it all for you.

I love CLS's and would have one at the drop of a hat if I didn't need an estate.

I felt that way too until I bought my little urban run-around and now don't need the 211 estate! :) Saying that, in the perfect world I'd keep the 211 and add a CLS, but my accountant said no.... :( :D

I felt that way too until I bought my little urban run-around and now don't need the 211 estate! :) Saying that, in the perfect world I'd keep the 211 and add a CLS, but my accountant said no.... :( :D
Is your S211 a 7 seater, by any chance?

No, 5...

To be truthful, I will miss it when it goes, it's been a terrific car, but I just LOVE those CLS... :)

I swapped my 500 for a 350CDI last October.

I fill up three times less per month saving over £300 in fuel. I do about 2,000 miles per month minimum.

For reference with the 500 I could get 350 to a tank. With the 350 CDI I get 650.

500 was the 5.5 V8 388 bhp version. 350 is the 226bhp version. Yes I miss the power. I don't miss the fuel bills!

but OP is planning to do 4-5k miles a year only

I fill up three times less per month saving over £300 in fuel. :thumb: I do about 2,000 miles per month minimum.

For reference with the 500 I could get 350 to a tank. With the 350 CDI I get 650.

500 was the 5.5 V8 388 bhp version. 350 is the 226bhp version. Yes I miss the power. I don't miss the fuel bills! :crazy:

I also guess the saving in initial cost (diesels do seem to be more expensive than 500s) would go some way to offset any additional fuel/tax costs....

I fill up three times less per month saving over £300 in fuel. :thumb: I do about 2,000 miles per month minimum.

500 was the 5.5 V8 388 bhp version. 350 is the 226bhp version. Yes I miss the power. I don't miss the fuel bills! :crazy:

Can you please share your secret of how on earth you get 650 miles from a tank of diesel with a 350 CDI, I struggle to get 400....I can only guess that you have a particularly light right foot?

Can you please share your secret of how on earth you get 650 miles from a tank of diesel with a 350 CDI, I struggle to get 400....I can only guess that you have a particularly light right foot?

It's an 80 litre tank.

I do mainly motorways, at the early time of the day, with little or no traffic - journey is 92 miles. So, no stop start, no traffic, long journey, easy flow on cruise control at 75mph ish - equates to 600+ miles per tank.

If it was in town, then 400 is more realistic. Likewise the 500 would only do 250....

Distance and cruising makes all the difference.

I did the calculations last year (when I was weighing up the purchase of the 500 against a 280 or 320 CDI). I was looking at cars 4-5 years old between £14k and £18k-ish.

I can't find it now but from the perspective of buying and running one for three years at c 7000 miles pa including depreciation I calculated that extra cost of buying a diesel was roughly equivalent to the extra fuel cost of running a 500.

I think that the diesel came out a little cheaper when depreciation was added it but not by much - maybe £500 pa.

The thing is I could get a top spec 500 at the time for £14k-ish and the equivalent diesel was at least £3k more.

Anyway the overall cost over 3 years was close enough for me to make the 500 decision a no brainer.

Hehe. Well to be quite candid, I'm now looking at a CLS63AMG. So fuel cost has some merits, but enjoyment has value as well !

Barry, get the 500, I would if I did such a megre milliage behind the wheels. AMGs are good, but please research parts cost/insurance costs and make a decision. Either a CLS55amg or a CLS63amg would be a superb means of travel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom