CLS 350 CDI - New Thermostat? Part number?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Good evening all. I've recently acquired a 2013 CLS350 3.0 diesel, and it rather looks as though the thermostat is on the way out. The temperature gauge only just creeps above 80 degrees in slow traffic, trundling down the motorway at 85 (sorry, officer...) it shows just under 80 degrees, and driving to the speed limit in free-flowing town traffic it drops to 70 degrees. I'm inclined to think it's almost certainly the thermostat.

Doesa anybody think differently?

The VIN is WDD2189232A099031, and the engine is an OM642.853. Please could some kind soul with the EPC give me the part number?

A 642 200 23 15

Is that just for the internal thermostat?

I get A 642 200 22 15 for the complete assembly.

Valid point 👌. Both are the full thing .

23 has code 804/805 , meaning facelift .

So depending on year , it'll be one of those numbers .

I put the 23 number into eBay to establish a base price, and all the items that came up had both the 23 number, and the same but with 19 not 23; none with 22. All of them were the actual 'stat only.

Mercedes part numbers complicated? As if...

My local dealer the 23 in stock; I can't wait for mail order, so it's mine now. It's the full thing, with housing. There's a blind recess in the elbow dome of the housing for some sort of sensor, but no apparent way of securing one; I presume that on some models (like mine) the sensor was elsewhere, and MB used the same housing casting, but without drilling out and tapping the recess. If not: "Houston, we may have a problem"...

I put the 23 number into eBay to establish a base price, and all the items that came up had both the 23 number, and the same but with 19 not 23; none with 22. All of them were the actual 'stat only.

Mercedes part numbers complicated? As if...

My local dealer the 23 in stock; I can't wait for mail order, so it's mine now. It's the full thing, with housing. There's a blind recess in the elbow dome of the housing for some sort of sensor, but no apparent way of securing one; I presume that on some models (like mine) the sensor was elsewhere, and MB used the same housing casting, but without drilling out and tapping the recess. If not: "Houston, we may have a problem"...

When you put it on , one of your bolts taps a thread in that hole as it goes in.

Without seeing it .

Did you ask the dealer if the part fitted?

As I said above on the Mercedes system the 23 part says not valid.

Same part just different varieties. 😁😁😁

Did you ask the dealer if the part fitted?

As I said above on the Mercedes system the 23 part says not valid.
You actually said that Webparts stated the number was not valid. I gave the dealer the 23 number; it matched my VIN on their system; it's the part number on the invoice. I think it's likely to be OK.

You actually said that Webparts stated the number was not valid. I gave the dealer the 23 number; it matched my VIN on their system; it's the part number on the invoice. I think it's likely to be OK.

Webparts or MB Webparts to be precise is the official name for the new system on Daimler with Parts Information being what replaced EPC.

I always simply enter the VIN and go from there.

Like you say it will likely be ok but I get below when entering the 23 part against your VIN.

The part number you have selected is not valid for the VIN entered here. Where a valid part number is available for the part item, it will have been marked in the parts list. If, along with the item number, it was not possible to determine a valid part number, then please undertake a manual research for the part concerned.

I'll check the one that comes off against the new one, but the dealer's part number, the number on the box, and the VIN (and VRM) all matched up, as do the ones on eBay. You couldn't have entered the VIN a digit out, could you?

I'll check the one that comes off against the new one, but the dealer's part number, the number on the box, and the VIN (and VRM) all matched up, as do the ones on eBay. You couldn't have entered the VIN a digit out, could you?

Hang on will check......Copied VIN above......Engine.Cooling....

A6422002215

Copy other part number above with same VIN, says not valid!

How come I get above but @OneForTheRoad gets A6422002315 ?

Last edited:
And so does the dealer. I suspect the error is in your information, but how, I've no idea. Does the VIN decode as a mid-2013 350 CDI Blue Efficiency CLS Shooting Brake?

Isn't modern technology wonderful...

Last edited:
Its the same part just 22 is old stock , 23 is the newer . 😁😁😁😁

And so does the dealer. I suspect the error is in your information, but how, I've no idea. Does the VIN decode as a mid-2013 350 CDI Blue Efficiency CLS Shooting Brake?

Vehicle modelCLS 350 CDI Shooting Brake
Order number0353725417
Production number7411639
Production plantP0500
Shipment date20130613
EC approval numbere1*2007/46*0485*09
EC approval date20130222

That's all correct. It looks as though the Webparts database you accessed didn't know about the later part.

I took the covers off yesterday to be sure of what the job entails, and it's simple enough, but looking at the electrical sensor on the thermostat housing, it appears to be simply an interference fit in the housing. Is it really? Surely it can't be the main coolant temperature sensor, then, and if not, what does it actually do?

I found this thread: Thermostat solenoid | Engine

but I think it refers more to bigger HGV engines; on my OM642 engine the thermostat is just a simple thermostat, with no fancy additional controls, and the coolant pump is belt-driven, so cannot switch off.

So what's it for? Or, more importantly, if I break it getting it out of its recess, how will that affect the running of the car until I can get another one and pop it in? .

Last edited:
That's all correct. It looks as though the Webparts database you accessed didn't know about the later part.

I took the covers off yesterday to be sure of what the job entails, and it's simple enough, but looking at the electrical sensor on the thermostat housing, it appears to be simply an interference fit in the housing. Is it really? Surely it can't be the main coolant temperature sensor, then, and if not, what does it actually do?

but I think it refers more to bigger HGV engines; on my OM642 engine the thermostat is just a simple thermostat, with no fancy additional controls, and the coolant pump is belt-driven, so cannot switch off.

So what's it for? Or, more importantly, if I break it getting it out of its recess, how will that affect the running of the car until I can get another one and pop it in? .
New stat from mb has it fitted .

I'd double check first, I just checked the parts again.

22 has the electrical connection.
23 does not have the electrical connection.

Didn't some of these engines have a solenoid here to improve emmissions and hold the stat open?

New stat from mb has it fitted .

Not the one I bought from my local dealer, in the MB box with the MB part number on it.
I'd double check first, I just checked the parts again.

22 has the electrical connection.
23 does not have the electrical connection.

Didn't some of these engines have a solenoid here to improve emmissions and hold the stat open?
There's no room inside the thermostat housing for a solenoid, but there's an electrical device or sensor of some sort in the recess on the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom