CLS 350 Grand Edition engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonysmb

Car
MB
I was talking to someone recently who had one of the original-style CLS Grand Editions. He quoted 272bhp, which seemed a lot to me but which would appear to be correct.

I've tried some research but not had much joy; were these simply chipped versions of the original V6 diesel (Brabus has been suggested on other posts here), or were they a very early introduction of the later revised 265bhp version? The chip version seems more likely to me, but if it was, were there other changes?

Hello Tony,

It's my understanding that it's the Brabus route, however, that was the opinion of a guy (on here) who used to own one - I've never seen under the bonnet to see if one has the chip/loom.

272bhp is certainly a D6 III output figure.

Hi all
Apols if i am going some old ground. Just acquired a CLS grand edition last month 272 BHP. Its sept 2010, had not been serviced for over a year so i thought i would for the sake of it take to a merc dealer. They done the service and informed it had a Brabus chip fitted. They inferred it was done retrospectively and i ought to check with my insurance company about the chip. I also spoke to Merc Aberdeen where the vehicle was sold from and they didnt seem to know it was chipped and advised it was not them to installed the chip. After researching it would appear this Brabus chip came as standard on the CLS GE in 2010 (don't know why the dealers would not know that!!! ) Has anyone an opinion on .. Do i need to advise my insurance company about this chip? When i insured it i submitted the Reg and the model CLS 350 grand edtion.. I would think that would be ok?? Look forward to comments /advice..............

If it was standard original fitment out of the factory then I don't think you need to inform them. If it was added by anybody after that, the it's a mod and they need to be told. But I would get some documentary evidence of it being original standard feature though - better to have that on file now rather than trying to prove it after an accident with the insurers complaining it is modified and denying payout...

The GE should have had the Brabus box fitted at the factory. Another interesting quirk is that the factory fit cars have the full warranty, but retro fit Brabus cars have a restricted warranty. Even if it is a box fresh car in the showroom.

Ask for the datacard - it would be interesting to see if the chip is listed on the factory spec.

I would have expected it to have been fitted by MB, in Germany, unless Grand Edition is an MB UK chip/badge exercise.

Thanks developer , would you happen to know who or where I can get the data card for the vehicle? I didn't get the car from an MB dealer. I would go with pxw's advice and be assured now it was a factory fit.. Do you think if it was a MB UK fit then that would be classed as a retro fit ? I read a blog today that someone thought on the CLS GE that MB were fitting the chips at the port! Anyway the data card seems like the great idea!!

There's a Russian site where you enter your VIN and it produces the datacard, however, I'd want the proper MB one.

Try a new thread, posting your VIN and someone will get back to you I'm sure.

You could also email Brabus and see what they know about GE's.

This is the guy I've dealt with in the past:

[email protected]

I have noticed one other thing about the CLS GE. I have established the GE was indeed a limited edition and Mercedes fitted the brabus chip boosting BHP by 48 to 272. They only made about 550 of them in 2010 as a farewell to the old shape, that's the info I have. Any comments on this, when driving it like a lot of Mercs there is a C or S switch mode on the gear box. Normally the S will be a sport mode increasing the revs etc... however on mine with the brabus fitted (engine sounds great!!) I cannot detect any noticeable difference whether running in the C or S mode. Do you think because it has the chip, that is overriding this function?

I have found the only difference between C & S is the hold onto the gear until the red line.

And also that S will start in first very time were C starts in first only if you boot it of the line

Is also seems to hold a lower gear for fraction longer after reaching a steady cruise speed.

but in everyday driving there seems to be no effective difference

Eoin

Hi. I had a E211 fitted with the Brabus D6 box. The S mode held the revs longer than the C mode.

I also understand that the GE came factory fitted with the Brabus box.

BTW my 211 had 90K on the clock when I sold it and it was still running very sweetly with the Brabus box. Enjoy the GE

In the CLS 219 (and possibly E class 211) I recall reading that only the V6/V8 petrols make use of 2nd gear start in C mode. All the diesels apparently start in 1st regardless of S/C, which seems strange given there must be adequate torque on tap to facilitate this. Perhaps the boxes have different ratios - taller gearing for the diesels?

C mode shifts up sooner which apparently makes for smoother driving characteristics, handy for wintry conditions.

Sorry to hijack the thread but can i chip my 1997 w202 c280 v6 ? cheers, tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom