cls 350 w210 non airmatic lowering alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cls350doc

Car
cls 350
Hi,

Been a long time since I posted on this forum, but have been an avid viewer!

I own a CLS 350 W219 non airmatic silver, great car! Had it probably over a year.

I went for my MOT couples of weeks back and found out one of the standard alloys was cracked. This led me to either get it repaired or buy a new different set.

My initial set up was (standard):

Front: 245/40/R18 8,5J ET 28
Rear: 285/35/R18 9,5J ET 33

I decided to go for a new bigger set!

Bought AXE EX18 gloss back and overall the design is amazing, but a few issues, looks wise.

My new set up is this:

Front: 245/35/R19 8.5J ET 29
Rear: 285/30/R19 9.5J ET 25

I'm no expert with cars, but did all my calculations via a site I was recommended on here, and knew the wheel arch gap would be increased, however did not think it would be that much!

Also, I'm not happy with the ET. It already has 15 mm spacers all round, but feel the back can do with sticking out a bit more and front more inwards.

My aim was orginally to get that flush beautiful look of the tyre very close to or even under the arch, but not too sure that's going to happen :(

I've researched in to many options, would really appreciate some advice on this from you:

1. Coilovers: v expensive. Been told 7-8 hrs labour!

2. Lowering springs: H and R lower 35 mm but have read that the shocks should be changed also, but that would be almost even more of the price of a decent coilover kit. Also not sure if the lowering springs would produce that wheel arch effect.

3. Changing the tyres: profile 35 rear and 40 front like before, but not sure. Don't want to go buying tyres without some advice.

4. Advice on ET, at least to know what ET you guys are running through mods would be appreciated.

Your help would be appreciated

Thank you

V

Last edited:
If you fitted the correct aspect tyre (which I think you have) the arch gap would remain the same as the overall wheel diameter would remain the same (as it should to maintain correct speedo reading).

It's an illusion ;)

Fitting coil-overs shouldn't take any longer than fitting lowering springs.

The arch gap should be pretty much similar , you have went down 5% on the profile but UP 1" on the outside diameter.

The most cost effective way to reduce the ride height will be a set of lowering springs and unless the shocks are leaking i would just leave them.

The ET is only the distance the wheel sits in relation to the hub mounting , it does not effect the arch clearance.

If you increase the profile on the larger wheels then your speedo will not be accurate.

Kenny

Thanks!

Reassuring that you said coilovers same as spring regarding labour. So many rip off mechanic out there!

Yes they are correct tyres for the wheel diameters.

Any reputable mechanics in London area that will charge a reasonable amount for coilovers?

Take a drive down to Olly at PCS in Horndean for fitting the coil-overs and then call in at Wheels-in-Motion on the way back to get the geometry and ride heights set up.

Thanks Kenny,

Just read about people's shocks collapsing a month after lowering springs put on. My car is 69,000 miles.

Been quoted £200 labour to install lowering springs.

How much am I looking labour wise to install springs/coilovers? I might do what you suggested.

IIRC, total supply and fit was about £1200 for the Bilsteins on my 203 with another £150 for the set-up

Keeping the car for year if that.

My budget would be £1000...No more.

Just spent £1200 on alloys and tyres.

Where did you get Bilsteins installed and supplied?

Maybe springs is the best option here, but just worried about the shocks!!

Any idea what the car will look like if lowering springs with a good alloy set up.

Someone must be riding that!?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom