CLS 55 AMG- 4 Fin Grill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonaldDonaldson

Car
2007 clk 220 cdi sport
I have seen a cls 55 amg advertised with the standard cls 4 fin grill- which as far as I know and have been informed was NOT used on the AMG version of the cls- all of which without exception had 3 fin.

The car is 2005 cls 55 amg, from the numerous pictures of cls 55's I have seen in the UK and also international, I have never seen a single one with this 4 fin grill, which was only ever used for the 320cdi/500.

Can anyone shed some light on this- is this something to be suspicious about- I am ruling out a former owner modifying an AMG with an older less desirable grill, from a non AMG car, as that would make absolutely no sense, would make future potential owner suspicious and would spoil the cars front end?

Any opinion or feedback appreciated...

mediaCAQ092XL.jpg

mediaCAVX3A41.jpg

it has the AMG brakes ...

it is probably the AMG version.

maybe owner simply preferred 4 slats

So I am right in saying that the amg cls was only ever manufactured with the 3 fin grill?

It just strikes me as very strange...have not seen a single one with this grill before, and I very much doubt anyone would change a amg grill, with a older, less desirable non amg grill? Makes no sense whatsoever to pay money to make your car look worse in most peoples eyes.

It's an easy enough fix to change to the amg grill, it just made me very suspicious of the car.

Has anyone else seen a cls amg with this grill before?

Is there another possible explanation?

and I very much doubt anyone would change a amg grill, with a older, less desirable non amg grill?

Maybe, just maybe, the previous owner regarded the 4-slat grille as more desireable (or simply better-looking) than the 3-slat?

I really think you're getting wound up about absolutely nothing!

I suspect it was smashed and repaired with a standard one and nobody has ever notice. If it offends you can always buy one.

The facelift CLS63 had the twin bar one.

S

^^ That's what I was thinking, it's the only logical explanation.

The previous standard grill was damaged somehow (through normal car use, vandalized, accident etc) and the owner was forced to replace it.

Not caring particularly about old/new grill they replaced it with what was easiest to source and cheaper at the time so ended up with this grill.

I agree I'm probably getting more suspicious about this than I should be, I will try to find out, if however the owner claims this is how the car came from Mercedes then there is something wrong, as surely that is not possible?

if however the owner claims this is how the car came from Mercedes then there is something wrong, as surely that is not possible?

owner is lying or has been lied to.

55 AMGs all had 3 slat grills

Out of those 3 cars the only one that is an AMG (or even looks like it could be one) is the first picture.

The other two are clearly not AMG's- I am not disputing the fact that the 4 fin grill was used for 320/350/500 cls, I have seen it on various cls cars before, but I know it was NOT fitted as standard to any amg's (which has also been confirmed here), hence the thread.

Have contacted the owner, will report what his response is, hopefully there is an innocent enough explanation, e.i. replaced due to damage to original grill.

Have contacted the owner, will report what his response is, hopefully there is an innocent enough explanation, e.i. replaced due to damage to original grill.

After piling into a lamp post at 78mph!

Hopefully its straight forward like you say mate, as I know where you are coming from. Would bug me too!

I wasn't trying to pick a fight!

I googled 'CLS55 AMG' and those images came up, among others. I think they look perfectly presentable.

If you are worried about possible front-end damage and the owner is not very forthcoming, then you could take the VIN to an MB dealership and get them to verify the online service and maintenance record. Bodywork should then show in the car's history.

Do MB date-stamp the panels? (I don't know.) If so, a check of the bonnet and the headlamp assemblies (and the bumper moulding if that's possible) should reveal all. I know Jaguar have date-stamped panels (that's how I knew a previous XJ Sport of ours had had a little 'incident' in its past).

Thanks, that's useful advice regarding the VIN, will do.

I haven't yet done an hpi check on the car, just the very vague free check which only tells you what is registered against a number plate will do the complete check at a later stage depending on what response I get from the owner, which will determine if I take my interest further.

The 4 fin grill looks okay, but I strongly prefer the 3 fin, gives the car a slightly more aggressive front end look which in my opinion really suits an amg.

Off topic, but a very quick question regarding key less entry- does anyone know exactly how this works and how it is turned on/off? Both cls amg cars which I have looked at the garage has not been able to operate it despite their best efforts, it was definitely present on both cars...

Does it need to be especially enabled..the key less go worked fine.

Off topic, but a very quick question regarding key less entry- does anyone know exactly how this works and how it is turned on/off? Both cls amg cars which I have looked at the garage has not been able to operate it despite their best efforts, it was definitely present on both cars...

Does it need to be especially enabled..the key less go worked fine.

I have keyless go ..

with the key in your pocket, you can open the locked door (merely by touching the door handle), start the engine (button on gearstick) provided your foot is on the brake.

if it doesn't work, no idea what might be wrong.

That's what I thought as well, having key in pocket/hand will be enough to activate, didn't work on either car I went to see, and the garages were not sure why...

Not that it's massively important, but still if they are listing a car's features they should make sure they work!

That's what I thought as well, having key in pocket/hand will be enough to activate, didn't work on either car I went to see, and the garages were not sure why...

Not that it's massively important, but still if they are listing a car's features they should make sure they work!

may be as simple as needing new batteries for the key .. if this is the case, the central display tells you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom