CLS 55 AMG - Exhaust mods finished - Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

7om

Car
CLS55
Hi,

Just a short post for anyone with a CLS interested in modifying their exhaust and what I learnt from it.

I had lots of difficulty making my mind up on which way to go with the exhaust on the CLS. Living in Cornwall, I rarely ever get the chance to see another modified Mercedes, let alone a CLS.

So i had to resort to scouring YouTube for hours on end trying to find out what sound I wanted and finally with a nudge from Paul at Eurocharged I finally settled on what I wanted - everything apart from the rear boxes removed! ha!

My biggest fear was that doing this would make the car too loud and uncivilised.

I fitted Eurocharged manifolds, decat with the x pipe up the front (where the secondary cats and balance pipe are) and removed the resonator (its on eBay now if anyone needs one).

Whilst trying to figure out what sound I wanted, I realised that the placement of the X-Pipe had an effect on the sound. Having an X at the front where the secondary cats are gives you more of a high pitched machine gun sound with a stunning race v8 howl under medium load between 2-4k rpm. Whereas having an x at the back gives you a deeper and more burbly V8 sound.

After hearing the C63 note on a dyno at MSL on my first day of ownership, I figured I like the high pitch V8 sound so had my X towards the front. I removed the resonator too because I want maximum volume under load and don't mind sacrificing a small burble providing I get maximum volume for the main events!

Here are a few clips on YouTube. I hope this helps for anyone considering doing the same to their CLS as I found it surprisingly difficult to get A-B comparison ideas.

Feel free to check my other vids if you're into tuning or ICE. My old 560BHP GTO is on there and even my old workhorse A6 subtle custom install that won a few contests.

Feel free to subscribe on YT as I'll be doing lots more to the CLS over the next 6 months.

Startup and Idle,

https://youtu.be/UMurmzimREw

WOT run,

https://youtu.be/NdSdNUoOfF4

Cheers to all on the forum who have helped me and answered to my CLS newbie niggles so far :) It really helps.

Very nice indeed.

Please tell me someone was actually lying in the boot to record the WOT sound.

Hi,
I have been wondering about doing similar to my CLS, so have you had all four CATs removed? whats the difference performance wise?

How does it sound from inside the car? Any chance of a clip from "the driver's seat", so to speak?

Just found this clip of the stock exhaust (just for comparison).

I envy all those people I drive past.. :bannana:

[YOUTUBE]EcOs2b4JbfI[/YOUTUBE]

Emissions-wise probably but if the tester spots they are missing....

Hey,

No one in the boot filming, ha! Inside the car it's not loud at all, it just depends how far you put your foot down.

I'll take some video's from inside. As an example though, I went to the South of France and back two weeks ago driving down overnight and everyone fell asleep. Once you're up to speed the sound pretty much disappears.

All cats removed with the front section. Emmissions, schmissions, this is Cornwall...lol The police are too busy taking selfies with hen parties in Newquay.

Next project is intake temp reduction. I'm just going for split cooling, heat exchanger and killer chiller to keep things simple.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info in this , I get mine
In a week so might look into this exhaust
mod , keep us updated on your cars progress .

Nice work, sounds great!

Hello Tom your car sounds mean :) keep us posted on your mods

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hello Tom your car sounds mean :) keep us posted on your mods

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Cheers bud, will do. It sounds great, just what I wanted and to answer white nemesis, I'm sure there's a bit more power there but it's mostly just the sound X factor. The remap and pulley seemed to make the biggest difference IMO.

I need to do weight reduction, the CLS is too heavy to be a fast car so if anyone has any CLS weight reduction tips I'm all ears.

Hope you're enjoying the cats and having your car on the road Suky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom