Cls 55 exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1my

Car
CLS AMG
Hi I'm looking for opinions on two different exhaust options on my cls 55 amg.
I've heard of a people having the centre box and 2 cats removed and replaced with straight pipes and X pipe.

I'm considering wether to have both these parts replaced or just the centre box.
How much of a difference is there in noise from having 1 or both mods done?
Also what diameter exhaust is normally used 2.5 or 3 inch?

Thanks

I bought mine with no secondary CATs and it was a bit louder than standard.

I was going to do headers alone as well but in the end I thought sod it and went the whole hog and did the X pipe with headers etc. so can't comment on exactly the CATs and X pipe alone but if you want a louder sound without being to raw - do both mods. If you keep the two primaries and you should be OK on the MOT assuming they are the same in Scotland and you won't regret it.

Can't remember the diameter now...

I had my secondary cats and resonator removed last month and replaced with a x-pipe, 3" stainless 304 Grade pipe was used.
So glad I had this done, and the exhaust is unobtrusive under light acceleration, but open it up and its a real V8 roar. Still not as loud as a n/a 63 engine though.
I doubt you would notice much difference with just the resonator (centre box) removed.

If its not a constant really loud noise then I will probably just have the secondary cats and rear resonator removed.
I just didn't want to have it done and end up wanting the cats or box refitted because it's too loud.

Thanks for your opinions

No - I get no drone with all the mods I've had done except under load at 70mph (i.e. going up a hill, not just cruising) but it's not intrusive.

Don't touch the back boxes if you want on/off loud.

Iv heard and read a lot of good reports and feedback about MSN but the distance is just a bit too far for me. I do have an exhaust fabricator that's local that does a very good job and has done plenty of systems for me in the past.

Although if I decide to have a remap and performance mods done I would certainly be heading to MSL. Until then ill be staying away in case I end getting carried away.

This is my e55 with centre box removed, secondary cats removed, x pipe fitted and baffles taken out of the backboxes... It's quietened down a fair amount now....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9D5VkpMyyCM

I did have it with the baffles left in the backboxes but all the rest done and there wasn't a great change over stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom