CLS 63 Estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
was a nicely spec'd car, definitely held its money.

The colour combo is stunning...I'm still not sure about the rear styling on the shooting brake though.
(I realise that I may now be asked to hand my membership card back to the Forum Mods :ban: )

Me neither. And I'm not just saying that because I've got an S212!

I also find that in profile, the rear part of the roof line on the SB looks a little odd where it swoops down at a slower rate than the window line. Never quite understood why they did it like that.

I'd still have one, though, but in a darker colour for me Santa, please.

I also find that in profile, the rear part of the roof line on the SB looks a little odd where it swoops down at a slower rate than the window line.
That's exactly the bit I can't get my head round!
But what do I know? I'm not exactly the epitome of style and elegance myself 😃

That's exactly the bit I can't get my head round!
But what do I know? I'm not exactly the epitome of style and elegance myself 😃

Having thought about it, all other cars have a c pillar that's wider at the base than at the top. This one's the other way round. From the view from side on and also from the rear.

That's what's odd.

Having thought about it, all other cars have a c pillar that's wider at the base than at the top. This one's the other way round. From the view from side on and also from the rear.

That's what's odd.
Do you mean the D pillar?

It’s not common but it’s not unique. The mark 1 Focus also had a similar D pillar. Designers do it to make the roofline appear to be sleeker than it really is.

Do you mean the D pillar?

It’s not common but it’s not unique. The mark 1 Focus also had a similar D pillar. Designers do it to make the roofline appear to be sleeker than it really is.
Yes, the D pillar.

I just thinks it looks a little odd. To my eyes, anyway, the roof doesn't look sleeker - there just seems to me too much of it above the window as it reaches the rear. I think it would look much if it tracked the curve of the window - or, rather, if they'd made the window line follow the curve of the roofline.

I guess they were trying to retain the existing line of the saloon's glasshouse whilst extending the roofline at the same time following a different a diverging curve.

Hey ho, other opinions are available, the concept's great and this one is a mighty machine.

You - well, I - don't really notice it from most angles unless you're looking for it, but it's particularly apparent in silhouette. I'd guess they needed that extra height towards the rear, otherwise it wouldn't be an estate, it would be a large hatchback, and since the rear doors are the same as on the standard CLS, the stylists had little choice but to maintain the sleek line of the chrome windows surround.

Mactech, who I rather think knows his stuff, had this to say about the W211/C219 CLS:

"I've had both the 211 E class (but both V6) and a '59 plate CLS. They were all under 3 years old when I had them and never gave a moments bother. Others have commented on long term reliability.
We know they are both based on the same platform, but the CLS feels a completely different car...in a good way.:D
The shell is stiffer, lower and wider and feels much more like a sports saloon than a taxi to drive.
The ride comfort is as good as the E Class, but handling is so much more involving.
I moved from an S Class to the CLS and gave away very little in terms of refinement and comfort but gained a car which would 'play' when asked. Something the E and S are very reluctant to do.
If you are looking for an executive car which can be fun when pushed....then you are looking in the right place:cool:"

Not bad at all for a decently capacious estate; you can forgive slightly compromised and clumsy styling...

Last edited:
I may have to give the CLS some more consideration then. The main thing I dislike about it is the HVAC controls - the dials just feel a bit low-rent compared to the 212 system. Silly, I know.

You - well, I - don't really notice it from most angles unless you're looking for it, but it's particularly apparent in silhouette. I'd guess they needed that extra height towards the rear, otherwise it wouldn't be an estate, it would be a large hatchback, and since the rear doors are the same as on the standard CLS, the stylists had little choice but to maintain the sleek line of the chrome windows surround.

Mactech, who I rather think knows his stuff, had this to say about the W211/C219 CLS:

"I've had both the 211 E class (but both V6) and a '59 plate CLS. They were all under 3 years old when I had them and never gave a moments bother. Others have commented on long term reliability.
We know they are both based on the same platform, but the CLS feels a completely different car...in a good way.:D
The shell is stiffer, lower and wider and feels much more like a sports saloon than a taxi to drive.
The ride comfort is as good as the E Class, but handling is so much more involving.
I moved from an S Class to the CLS and gave away very little in terms of refinement and comfort but gained a car which would 'play' when asked. Something the E and S are very reluctant to do.
If you are looking for an executive car which can be fun when pushed....then you are looking in the right place:cool:"

Not bad at all for a decently capacious estate; you can forgive slightly compromised and clumsy styling...
Interesting to hear a comparison with the 212 estate which I understand handles much better than the 211....

Interesting to hear a comparison with the 212 estate which I understand handles much better than the 211....

My 212 feels much pointier than the 211 that preceded it. The steering feels quicker and more direct. It's still a cruiser but one you can hustle a bit harder.

Thanks for digging that out. I've always had a bit of hankering for a CLS. That hasn't helped :)

Thanks for digging that out. I've always had a bit of hankering for a CLS. That hasn't helped :)
Have you sat in the back of one? I did during a short trip down at MB World and didn't like it at all: felt claustrophobic.

And going back to the whole "lifestyle estate" thing, isn't that reduced roofline a problem?

Asks the bloke who still hasn't worked out how to replace his petrol S212 after more than a year....

Why not have a couple of cars, an older estate car for ‘estate car duties’ and something more nimble for when practicality isn’t such an issue? :thumb:

To me the CLS estate is quite compromised, it was quirky when it came out but I think the sales figures reflect the appetite for cars like this in the UK at least.

I guess if you were comparing E-class saloon with a regular CLS then it may be less of a compromise if you can live with only four seats and a little less headroom? :)

Have you sat in the back of one? I did during a short trip down at MB World and didn't like it at all: felt claustrophobic.

And going back to the whole "lifestyle estate" thing, isn't that reduced roofline a problem?

Asks the bloke who still hasn't worked out how to replace his petrol S212 after more than a year....

I sometime just sit and idly wonder what happens when the kids leave home and I shuffle closer to requirement; could I ditch the extra weight and space of the estate and get, say, a CLS saloon with folding seats? Lower, lighter, more rigid.

Maybe I'll just go all Scottish and get a Golf 1.4 TSI with a few toys. Spacious, cheap, does what it says on the tin.

I'm tracking my pension & investments quite closely now and enjoying seeing them grow nicely as I enter the final stretch of my career. I could shed a bit of car spend and stick the balance into yet another tax-efficient pot somewhere. Hmmmmm......

TBH, when I bought my first C43 the idea was to scratch that V8 itch for three years or so. I'm getting to end of year 18 now. Maybe I'll get to 20 years and downsize.

ETA; the Golf GTE would do me fine; 40 mile battery range. Now I've helped my mate get into an E300e, I'm quite intrigued by PHEV's.

Last edited:
I sometime just sit and idly wonder what happens when the kids leave home and I shuffle closer to requirement; could I ditch the extra weight and space of the estate and get, say, a CLS saloon with folding seats? Lower, lighter, more rigid.

Maybe I'll just go all Scottish and get a Golf 1.4 TSI with a few toys. Spacious, cheap, does what it says on the tin.

I'm tracking my pension & investments quite closely now and enjoying seeing them grow nicely as I enter the final stretch of my career. I could shed a bit of car spend and stick the balance into yet another tax-efficient pot somewhere. Hmmmmm......

TBH, when I bought my first C43 the idea was to scratch that V8 itch for three years or so. I'm getting to end of year 18 now. Maybe I'll get to 20 years and downsize.

ETA; the Golf GTE would do me fine; 40 mile battery range. Now I've helped my mate get into an E300e, I'm quite intrigued by PHEV's.
Did the Golf GT 1.4 TSI when Cost Centre One went off to University. Awfully capable car but, well, you know, just not that interesting... even with the assistance of an SL500 as Dad's runabout, it's not quite up to snuff.

I've looked at the C350e, the 330e, the GTE and the eGolf and they're all like Windows 1.0. An interesting first step but not quite there yet. My current runabout is a 320i - call it a 330e without 200kgs of electrickery - it doesn't accelerate as well, but it's still basically the same mpg without the plugging in.

But that's all not quite a family sized Mercedes.... Maybe the E300e is the answer. Maybe it's not just an Engineer's answer to a the latest Regulatory nonsense.

Hold on to the E500 and buy yourself a Ferrari 360 or 911. You're the right age for it now.

I'd second all of that, having had a W211, C219, W212 and X218.

I'd second all of that, having had a W211, C219, W212 and X218.
Me too.Totally agree having had and E500 w211 followed by a cls55 w219 which i still have. Loved the E500 but much prefer the cls for all the reasons stated

The S211 E500 in Elegance trim with Airmatic and 18" wheels has a superb ride, but it is essentially a motorway mile-eater; the CLS is just as good a cruiser, and a bit quieter to boot, but can hustle as well. It has a noticeably quicker rack than the 211, which makes a big difference, the suspension is a bit firmer and it rolls noticeably less in the corners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom