CLS 63 SB - Monkey See; Monkey Want; Monkey Nervous...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
Forum member C3enturion's CLS in the For Sale... Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

It's not stated to be a Performance Pack, but it has the same engine, same power and torque, as my 2013 model E63 with the PP, and that cost me £11k to sort out after a misfire bent a couple of conrods... You can see why I'm nervous.

I think the grey is OK, though I'd want to change the wheel colour to silver, but that interior is just perfect for my taste; same colour scheme as my CLS SB at the moment, and I love it. I think it works OK with the grey, too. What does the team think?

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with the one I have, and it's fine for my needs. Decisions, decisions... I'll sleep on it.

It's leggy.

Ultimately though it comes down to what is your personal comfort zone for a "sorting out fund".

If it's under £5K I'd probably give it swerve. It may be more, it may be less only you can make that call.

It's often not the purchase price that worries us, In words of Donald Rumsfeld "We know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know."

So what's your comfort zone for known unknowns?

Last edited:
It's somewhat over what used to be the accepted average mileage, 10K a year, but not hugely so, and I'm not concerned by mileage per se.

What about the unknown unknowns, though? That's what concerns me; there are plenty of things I could afford if I had to, but I'd prefer not to...

"But Marge, it's got six cupholders...".

I'm not often in two minds, but I am on this one. I've asked for the datacard, which may help me make up my mind. I'm not sure the wheels are genuine AMG, either; I can't see the AMG logo on them.

Last edited:
It does not have an AMG plate. It reads AM51BYE; close, but if you have to squint to make it read AMG, then it doesn't. AM61BYE would be closer, but still no cigar...

Bit naff, too. I'd change the plate if I bought it; somebody with a squint would buy it...

That's a matter of taste, though. What I want now is the datacard.

Last edited:
It does not have an AMG plate. It reads AM51BYE; close, but if you have to squint to make it read AMG, then it doesn't. AM61BYE would be closer, but still no cigar...

Bit naff, too. I'd change the plate if I bought it; somebody with a squint would buy it...

It's actually spaced to say "AM5 I BYE". Tying waaaaaaaay too hard. I'd just put the spacing back to normal and it would just look like the normal plate that it is.

Other than that and the wheels it looks great.

If I was looking at this car, I would want a good Indy to do an Inspection for me (at my cost) with the sellers consent, just to have some peace of mind. I would also want the original wheels if they still have them.
It's missing two MOTs for 2018 and 2020 n the Gov Database, that needs some looking into.
Nice colour - good spec and recent tyres and brakes are a plus.

It's somewhat over what used to be the accepted average mileage, 10K a year, but not hugely so, and I'm not concerned by mileage per se.

What about the unknown unknowns, though? That's what concerns me; there are plenty of things I could afford if I had to, but I'd prefer not to...

"But Marge, it's got six cupholders...".

I'm not often in two minds, but I am on this one. I've asked for the datacard, which may help me make up my mind. I'm not sure the wheels are genuine AMG, either; I can't see the AMG logo on them.
Not to everyone's taste, but I love 'em and you see very few on the road. But my experience has been that if in 2 minds, walk away, especially if £20k is involved. No idea whether this is a reasonable price or not.

The price is OTT, I think; WBAC offered £12500, which is as usual bollocks for an AMG, but Parker's reckons £16,710 with 100K, but no extras. I've found in the past Parkers is usually in the right area, so even adding a grand for the LSD and another for the brakes and tyres, it still comes to only £18.5K or so.

It must be the price of fuel and the uncertain economic outlook, but God, the price of these has plummeted...

Charlie, I take your point about a good indie, but the particular problem I'm concerned about could be just on the point of raising it's ugly head. My E63 ran fine, except for the occasional misfire at full chat, until one morning on startup there was a very nasty rattle...

The price of fuel must have had an impact on the value of these. The WBAC valuation probably reflects close to zero trade interest in a 9 yr old 100k miler MB with the 63 engine.
Given your personal experience with this engine, I am astonished that you are even thinking about it.....maybe you like to live on the edge or trying to keep Mr Gates fully employed.
We'll know something has changed when you tell us that you have been browsing used Lexus for sale

The price is OTT, I think; WBAC offered £12500, which is as usual bollocks for an AMG, but Parker's reckons £16,710 with 100K, but no extras. I've found in the past Parkers is usually in the right area, so even adding a grand for the LSD and another for the brakes and tyres, it still comes to only £18.5K or so.
These are attempting to be trade-in numbers, not private sale.
And these guidelines are always dubious for large engined vehicles, AMG or not.

Maybe I've missed something: why bother with the change?

What's the justification for the risk & hassle?

(Re fuel prices - and the shortage of new car and trade in stock which is just as important: they've damaged both the car you're buying and selling. You run risks on both sides of the buy sell. The rise in interest rates is about to kick the sheet out of private owners who hold extra cars because their interest cost has been virtually nothing at a time when car prices have risen, or at least remained stable.)

Last edited:
Given your personal experience with this engine, I am astonished that you are even thinking about it.....maybe you like to live on the edge or trying to keep Mr Gates fully employed.
We'll know something has changed when you tell us that you have been browsing used Lexus for sale

Actually, I've come to the realisation that I killed my E63 in trying to trace the cause of the mystery misfire. If I'd known then what I know now, I might well still have it, and it would be on somewhere around 100K.

I did have a Lexus moment a few years ago, but I gave myself a good kick up the 4rse and it passed. Lexus don't make a large estate car anyway, and whilst I appreciate they have much to recommend them, their good points are not such as to appeal greatly to me just yet; maybe when I start wearing Crocs for driving...

Maybe I've missed something: why bother with the change?
What's the justification for the risk & hassle?
Because it pleases me. I like the CLS SB a lot, particularly that interior; see the thread title. I also like seriously fast cars...

"Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?" Maybe I do; I'm not sure whether I do enough yet, though.

(I only normally have two cars, and I've never regarded any of them as investments. I buy them to drive, because they please me. I don't need loans to buy my cars; I pay cash, so a rise in interest rates is not a factor, and inflation actually benefits me directly to a degree.)

(I only normally have two cars, and I've never regarded any of them as investments. I buy them to drive, because they please me. I don't need loans to buy my cars; I pay cash, so a rise in interest rates is not a factor, and inflation actually benefits me directly to a degree.)
My point was not about you, it was about the prices generally.

Used prices are temporarily high because it has cost dealers and private owners nothing to hold them. Credit is being pulled in, interest costs are going up, and people will be "economising" on discretionary spends.

There's turbulence ahead - just be wary of buying high and selling (the old one) low.

That said, you can't take it with you. If you don't spend it on faster horses, you'll only waste it on wild women and old whiskey.

Dennis, didn't you recently buy, then quickly sell a Hyacinth Red CLS63 SB? Too fast for your needs at the time?
I can't keep up with your car collection these days:dk:;)

I'm not going to knock the car you are looking at, as the owner is a forum member and he has set his price.

Yes, I had the red one for three months or so a year ago. I found I couldn't live with the all-black interior after all, I wasn't used to the performance any more either, and it just didn't feel as special as my current blue SB, so I kept that. The R172 I now have has the same, in fact I think slightly better, performance, and I'm accustomed to it again.

Needs? Well, it's more about want...

Academic, though; I've just had a long chat with the owner, who isn't desparate to sell it, and what I think is a fair price for it is too low. Fair enough; he has my number if he changes his mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom