CLS advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Habbiemods

Car
Alfa Romeo Brera
Hi,
I'm in the market for a 2009/10 CLS and would appreciate help with a couple of questions:

1. 350CGI or 350CDI? I was wanting a petrol car but they're very difficult to find, is the diesel that good?
2. How is the diesel with short journeys? Problems with DPF?
3. Where is the Brabus chip located on the Grand Edition? I'm going to see one tomorrow and wanted to check it was still there.

Any other advice (what to look for on a test drive etc) would be most welcome.

Cheers

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

IMHO the 350 diesel's got the low down torque, the 350 petrol's got the top end and the 500 (petrol) has both.

The 5.5 is relatively common in CLS's - I'd go for one of them.

You get nigh on 400 BHP, no diesel emissions gubbins to worry about and you also won't get caught out with the upcoming emissions crackdown.

There a 2 on autrader - one's a bit leggy and has got naff wheels - the other one's on 42k but there are no details. £10k and £12.5k.

The 500 is the one to go for as an all rounder, be careful of the 5.5, early ones can have balance shaft issues I believe. I can't remember what year they sorted this out though.

Grand Edition owned for almost 4 years , 5 mile round trip to work with no DPF issues.

Average 23mpg in summer . 20 in winter , 40 on the motorway.

Brabus box is located under the offside cover under the engine bay , you cant actually see the box but the Brabus label is on the harness you can see.

20160407_170559_zps6hhsddpu.jpg

20160407_170525_zpszg8kncec.jpg

Make sure you start it from cold to eliminate battery , glow plus or their relay issues.

Take it onto the motorway and check the wheel balance is ok as the AMG alloys are easily damaged.

Check tyre wear , rear is expected with 600nm of torque but the fronts can suffer with camber issues so check the inner 10% of the front tyres for excessive wear.

The more options fitted by the purchaser the better , HK sounds / memory pack / paddle shift etc.

Gearbox is painfully slow to downshift , low ratio upshifts should be silky smooth as should the downshifts from 2nd -- 1st when stopping . G Box oil gets replaced at around 36k miles.

Should pull really strongly in all gears , loads of torque required to get a 2t car to 60 in 6.5s.

Kenny

Last edited:
Grand Edition owned for almost 4 years , 5 mile round trip to work with no DPF issues.

Average 23mpg in summer . 20 in winter , 40 on the motorway.

Brabus box is located under the offside cover under the engine bay , you cant actually see the box but the Brabus label is on the harness you can see.

20160407_170559_zps6hhsddpu.jpg

20160407_170525_zpszg8kncec.jpg

Make sure you start it from cold to eliminate battery , glow plus or their relay issues.

Take it onto the motorway and check the wheel balance is ok as the AMG alloys are easily damaged.

Check tyre wear , rear is expected with 600nm of torque but the fronts can suffer with camber issues so check the inner 10% of the front tyres for excessive wear.

The more options fitted by the purchaser the better , HK sounds / memory pack / paddle shift etc.

Gearbox is painfully slow to downshift , low ratio upshifts should be silky smooth as should the downshifts from 2nd -- 1st when stopping . G Box oil gets replaced at around 36k miles.

Should pull really strongly in all gears , loads of torque required to get a 2t car to 60 in 6.5s.

Kenny
That's really useful, thanks for the info

I saw that on Autotrader, really nice, I was particularly attracted by the paddle shifters. Bit far for me unfortunately but you never know...

They are a long way from me as well, I brought my new car from them.

If you are after a CLS that one is really good, very original, not paint work every been done to it, full service history, fab car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom