CLS build quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parody

Car
Audi A5 2.0 tfsi
Hi All

New around here, been snooping about for a few days while I consider my next purchase. Currently have an Audi A5- lovely car but I made the wrong engine choice so I'm bored of it already. Previously used to much faster.

So a CLS55 is peaking my interest, the indecent power is appealing as is the shape, and I've never had a merc before.

So last night I went to test drive a local CLS500 to get a feel, partially to introduce me to the car in person and partly to see if the cheaper version would cut it (it didn't). But my departing worry was the cabin build quality. I've always had BMW, VW and now Audi and they have been very well put together inside. This CLS500 cabin creaked, cracked, popped and groaned at the slightest whiff of movement. Going around a corner was like it was running on popping candy.

The CLS55 I have my eye on is 1 year older with 20k less miles. Was this just a bad example, or am I expecting too much from an 11 year old car? I've had plenty of older BMWs without that problem!

Thanks for your opinions

My CLS500 is dead quiet inside. No rattles or creaks.

Wonder if the one you've driven has been apart and back together to cure faults and bits of trim not reseated properly ?

My ML 2007 is creaky and rattly...

May have had a hard (offroad) life, but I think not. Both the MLs I drove when I was looking were the same.

I just leaned to to live with it in return for the other things it does well...

My CLS55 is cathedral quite inside, except when accelerating. Certainly no rattles or creaks! Cruising at a steady 70mph on the motorway one can hear the clock minute hand click round...

W219s are very solid - the only known issue (which I have) is the back of the passenger seat occasionally rattles. - There is a fix which im yet to do.

If you have any other rattles, chances are some trim/dash has been removed in the past and not set back correctly.

Does it really have 20k on the clock? AMG that has only done 20k would set alarm bells for me.

I think he means it has 20k less miles than the 500

Mine is a strange car albeit not a CLS (it's the same car with a different body anyway).

On the whole, it feels very well screwed together.

Sometimes I will get the odd little squeaks and rattle and then other times, nothing.

I've never known this kind of inconsistency before.

I presume temperature-dependent but other cars I've had will have been subjected to the same environmental changes.

Most odd.

I have 2010 (59) CLS 350 and like others have said its rock solid inside and very quiet. More so then my previous c classes although the fat tyres do generate a fair amount of rumble. Sadly your Audi interior will be hard to live up to as they are lovely and the w219 CLS will most likely feel dated in comparison.

Cheers for the replies. The 55 is a couple hours from me so I can't just pop round and check it out.

Yes I did mean 20k fewer miles!

It was most definitely dated inside compared, although didn't feel as bad in person as the pictures would make you think.

Problem is for similar money (£15k Max) the only other car in the same performance bracket is a high mileage M5 - unless anyone can suggest me? I'm after some brutal power that will make my eyeballs pop. Will likely have it mapped also, once I've got used to it.

As a reference my previous car was a BMW 545i (4.4v8)which was reasonably quick, but not brutal.

Problem is for similar money (£15k Max) the only other car in the same performance bracket is a high mileage M5 - unless anyone can suggest me? I'm after some brutal power that will make my eyeballs pop.

Does it have to be German?

If not, a VXR8 is a lot of car for the money.

Also, while I have your attention...

I've read up on the SBC with the early CLS, but can't really find a standard "this is what you do to sort it", which given the problem is now 10+years old, is surprising (or my google-fu is failing).

As I understand, you can apply a software update which sets the idea count to 75% of 600,000 before it warns again, which is option one.

And option two is a refurb/recode which costs around £1200 at a dealer? Or are there now some established 3rd parties offering this for less?

Is this something that will eventually make the car worthless if it's a discontinued system and at some poinr can't be fixed, say in 5 or 10 years?

Does it have to be German?

If not, a VXR8 is a lot of car for the money.

I did look at these a while back... I'm not a massive fan of he looks. It doesnt have to be German but I find mostly they are the shapes I prefer.

The jag XF SV8 was in my list too.

I suppose the VXR8 does have marmite looks, but it's a serious motor.

I've read up on the SBC with the early CLS, but can't really find a standard "this is what you do to sort it", which given the problem is now 10+years old, is surprising (or my google-fu is failing).

As I understand, you can apply a software update which sets the idea count to 75% of 600,000 before it warns again, which is option one.

And option two is a refurb/recode which costs around £1200 at a dealer? Or are there now some established 3rd parties offering this for less?

Is this something that will eventually make the car worthless if it's a discontinued system and at some poinr can't be fixed, say in 5 or 10 years?

It's more a case of if the pump is OK, it can be reset to give it greater life.

However Bosch pumps can be sourced and fitted for less than £1200 now albeit you are still talking reasonable triple figures.

Problem with the E60 for me is the SMG III gearbox. When it works, I've no doubt it is great. When it doesn't, you need deep pockets.

I'd be waiting for it to go wrong all the time - something you don't have with a CLS because it uses 722.6 / 5g which is a slushy.

V10 is about the only reason I would buy a facelift E60 M5 but I think the novelty would wear off quick.

The service count can sometimes be extended, STAR will allow or not, depending on whether it's been done once already.

The SBC unit can now be purchased directly from Bosch for appro £700 and can be fitted by a good indy. A failing SBC in no way renders the car worthless!

The jag XF SV8 was in my list too.

For just a little over your £15k budget you'd be able to look at an XF-R which is 510bhp and "modern", I think the 4.2 SV8 is 410bhp iirc. It's been absolutely bulletproof up to press too, other than rear tyres and many trips to the fuel station, it hasn't cost me a thing.

I really can't speak highly enough of my XF-R, I took my dad out in it (he rides a GSX 1400) for a blast and had him holding on to the dashboard with sweaty palms...:D

XFR would be lovely but I'm looking at 100k miles again and £2k over!

650i is another. Nothing is giving me what I feel I will get from a 55 though - that AMG exclusivity and brutal torque. I can't stop watching YouTube vids. Shame they are so hard to find low mileage / good condition - even at any price.

Thanks for opinions peeps, will be sure to post pics of whatever I get! (Well, if it's a merc!)

Last edited:
650i is another.

"Interesting looks" if you are talking E63.

F06 / F12 / F13 on the other hand, I love. A definite possibility for me next!

Shame they are so hard to find low mileage / good condition - even at any price.

You've missed the boat to some extent.

The problem you have now is low mileage stuff is stupid money, reasonably low mileage is rare and average mileage is not insignificant.

Having said that - don't let a car with 6 digit mileage put you off. There's cars on here not far off moon mileage still running and stuff in the early 6 figures is barely run in.

A lot of people are surprised to learn my car is a whisker off a 100K now - it still feels as fresh as it did at less than half the mileage.

As long as it has been looked after and is running well, you will be fine.

XFR would be lovely but I'm looking at 100k miles again and £2k over!

If you did manage to get your head round the extra purchase cost, I'm sure you'd be impressed with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom